Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sound system configuration is flaky

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Question Sound system configuration is flaky

    I use the Preferences-System Settings-Multimedia mechanism to control which "sound card" to use, but it will simply fail to work with my headset occasionally. If I use the "Test" feature when the device is clicked as shown in the attachment, I get the test sound in the headphones. But it just now won't give me the sound from a YouTube video. What gives???

    Krishna
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 04-07-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Ooops! Forgot to add attachment

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    PulseAudio

    I have two sound cards, too. One is integrated in the mainboard and the other one is a USB device with an amplifier for my record player. With PulseAudio I am able to switch over to a different sound device for output.
    I did the following in order to install PulseAudio.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t testing install pulseaudio paman pavucontrol paprefs
    Afterwards I created a file /etc/asound.conf with the following configuration as described on the page http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup:
    Code:
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    I rebooted the system. In the menu "Sound & Video" I found the "PulseAudio Volume Control" which I use to select the output device.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    .asoundrc

    I found a simpler way to change the sound output device than using PulseAudio.
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    shows the sound cards installed in the system. In my case the sound card I want to use has the number 1. I create a configuration file /home/knoppix/.asoundrc with the two lines
    Code:
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    defaults.pcm.card 1
    I can adjust the volume with the program alsamixer (or aumix). After restarting the Xserver the volume control in the LXPanel works with the new sound card. If the the web browser is running using the flash plugin while I change the settings for the default sound card then I have to restart the web browser in order that the flash plugin uses the new sound card for playback.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here a few more ideas for you, Krishna:

    I use the following /etc/rc.local to 'max-out' audio volume on my laptop:
    added sudo amixer sset 'Master' 64;
    sudo amixer sset 'Speaker' 64; and
    sudo amixer sset 'PCI' 255.

    Audio settings can be viewed and/or changed in an LXTerminal with 'alsamixer'.
    (I don't know if driving alsamixer values 'into the red' is harmful;
    I keep the apparent volume about the same as in Win7 usage.)
    Last edited by utu; 07-26-2010 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Here a few more ideas for you, Krishna:

    I use the following /etc/rc.local to 'max-out' audio volume on my laptop:
    added sudo amixer sset 'Master' 64;
    sudo amixer sset 'Speaker' 64; and
    sudo amixer sset 'PCI' 255.

    Audio settings can be viewed and/or changed in an LXTerminal with 'alsamixer'.
    (I don't know if driving alsamixer values 'into the red' is harmful;
    I keep the apparent volume about the same as in Win7 usage.)
    I checked my settings as follows:
    Code:
     cat /proc/asound/cards
     0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                          VIA 8237 with CMI9761A+ at 0xe400, irq 22
     1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
                          Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:10.2-1, full speed
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ amixer
    Simple mixer control 'Master',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 31
      Mono:
      Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [-12.00dB] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [-12.00dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 31
      Mono:
      Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [-12.00dB] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [-12.00dB] [on]
    --------snip--------
    I'm wondering how wise or unwise exceeding a value of 31 would be, given what I see here. I have different hardware now than I did before, with an external amp to boost things, but I'm still interested. Thanks again, and

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Thanks! I hope this will help others, too.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Krishna,

    Note: I max out my speakers, but not headphones.
    Speaker output on my laptop is too weak otherwise,
    and if it seems louder than I use with Win7, I
    just turn it down with panel VC. Seems safe enough.

    Having maxed my PCM, I can't say for sure I have
    not hurt the headphone channels. But I don't
    have any headphones, and probably won't use that
    capability anyway.

    I'm really fond of the nice gui that alsamixer
    shows on an LXTerminal.

  8. #8

    .asoundrc

    thanks to Klaus2008s file .asoundrc I now have USB 1.1 headphone audio in Knoppix 6.4.4 Main goal accomplished. The Penguin REALLY rocks now that Ive learned how to make a proper flash drive install! BUT.... the volume control applet has vanished from the task bar, although it still appears in the applet list. Adding another volume control didnt accomplish anything except having two that dont appear. "Aumix" does nothing to adjust the USB HS volume, nor does "Mute all" have any effect. The HS volume control does not work. I hear Todd Rundgren in Stereo but I cant "crank it up" Starting Alsamixer in Terminal allows me to change the volume, "in the red" works at 2 dB! I can croon along with Chicago and not hear how horrible I sound. HS volume control still doesnt work. Unfortunately the arrow keys follow focus so the mixer cant be adjusted when not focused on Terminal. Q. How to get volume control on the Taskbar a/o a control in Aumix??

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    So, what happens when you enter
    alsamixer
    into an lxterminal?

  10. #10
    Alsamixer 1.0.23 - it works. can change HS volume, but its klunky, I Alt-Tab - Arrow it to change volume when the mixer is in the background. There is an F6 invoked "select sound card" menu item in Alsamixer which appears to change the card used, maybe thats an alternative to writing the .asourc file? ill try it tomorrow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50