You might want to check out PLoP Bootmanager. You can boot from almost anything "visible", I think. I'm still getting started with it myself, but it looks pretty great so far, and it's been recommended by others who know more than I do.
Krishna![]()
facts: old laptops Armada 1700 with no HD. Only 1 usb 1.1 port. 2 PCMCIA-slots.
It is possible to boot from USB-stick , bootfrom=/dev/sda1/kn.iso , very slow!! but it works.
I want to boot from pcmcia 5in1 card reader. (and later Compcat flash)
Till now it is absolutely not possible to boot from this device.
Is it possible anyway?? 1 work with knoppix 5, it is really the limit for mine system.
Armada 1700 laptops are now 11 years old. So i have to deal with limitations.![]()
You might want to check out PLoP Bootmanager. You can boot from almost anything "visible", I think. I'm still getting started with it myself, but it looks pretty great so far, and it's been recommended by others who know more than I do.
Krishna![]()
Have you tried Knoppix 6.2.1 or 6.3? The reason I ask is that I think USB support may have become better in the latest releases, and if you use LXDE without Compiz (cheat code no3d), I'm not sure it will be quite hopeless to run on your hardware.

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
Synology RS1219+ (24TB Raid 5)
$800.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00