Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Permission Denied On USB Hard Drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8

    Permission Denied On USB Hard Drive

    I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.

    I am using a Knoppix 6 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as

    System /media/sda2
    Vista /media/sda3
    Recovery /media/sda1

    and the USB hard drive as

    disk2s1

    I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'

    Can the files on this drive be transferred to the laptop?

    Thanks for any help or suggestions

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Need more information

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry5 View Post
    I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.

    I am using a Knoppix 6 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as

    System /media/sda2
    Vista /media/sda3
    Recovery /media/sda1

    and the USB hard drive as

    disk2s1

    I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'

    Can the files on this drive be transferred to the laptop?

    Thanks for any help or suggestions
    Have you tried
    Code:
    ls -la disk2s1
    to get more information (owner, etc.), or sudo to make your requests with root permissions?

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Have you tried
    Code:
    ls -la disk2s1
    to get more information (owner, etc.), or sudo to make your requests with root permissions?

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Hi

    All I get is: ls cannot access disk2s1 no such file or directory

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry5 View Post
    Hi

    All I get is: ls cannot access disk2s1 no such file or directory
    Okay, try this:
    Code:
    locate disk2s1
    That should tell you where it is, I think. The MacOS disk format seems to be pretty challenging for other OSs...

    Krishna

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8

    Not much luck

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Okay, try this:
    Code:
    locate disk2s1
    That should tell you where it is, I think. The MacOS disk format seems to be pretty challenging for other OSs...

    Krishna
    Hi

    Now I get this:

    locate:warning:database '/var/cache/locate/locaedb' is more than 8 days old (actual age is 61.0days)

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think that "disk2s1" is the partition's label. Usually the partition gets a mount point in the directory /media and that mount point is named after the device name. In the PCMan File Manager the partitions are often identified by their label. You might try
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/disk2s1
    to get the device name. Execution of the command
    Code:
    mount
    delivers information about the partition's mount point if it's already mounted. Afterwards you might execute
    Code:
    ls -la "mount point"
    Example: The partition has got the label "Cruzer1" and the device name is /dev/sda1. The mount command delivers the mount point /media/sda1. Thus I would execute
    Code:
    ls -la /media/sda1
    in order to see the owner, group and permissions.

    If the partition has not yet been mounted then the mount command won't show you a mount point, but
    you might try
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/macdisk
    sudo mount -o gid=1000,uid=1000 /dev/disk/by-label/disk2s1 /media/macdisk
    ls -la /media/disk2s1
    If this does not work then mount will give you an error message.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry5
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type hfsplus (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=10 00,nls=utf
    Your USB disk has been mounted on /media/sdb1. You may not write on it but you may read. Now you might run the command
    Code:
    ls -al /media/sdb1
    to see owner, group and permissions of the files and directories.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8
    After ls -al /media sdb1


    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ls -al /media/sdb1
    total 0
    drwxrwxr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 0 Apr 10 16:16 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Apr 10 16:16 ..
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry5 View Post
    After ls -al /media sdb1


    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ls -al /media/sdb1
    total 0
    drwxrwxr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 0 Apr 10 16:16 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Apr 10 16:16 ..
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    Still Getting this:

    Screenshot..jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Not sure if this wil help or not: in a root terminal, try:
    Code:
    aptitude update && aptitude install hfsutils
    See if any of the above works better after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS

$228.32



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair

$123.75