-
Permission Denied On USB Hard Drive
I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.
I am using a Knoppix 6 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as
System /media/sda2
Vista /media/sda3
Recovery /media/sda1
and the USB hard drive as
disk2s1
I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'
Can the files on this drive be transferred to the laptop?
Thanks for any help or suggestions
-
Need more information

Originally Posted by
Cherry5
I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.
I am using a Knoppix 6 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as
System /media/sda2
Vista /media/sda3
Recovery /media/sda1
and the USB hard drive as
disk2s1
I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'
Can the files on this drive be transferred to the laptop?
Thanks for any help or suggestions
Have you tried to get more information (owner, etc.), or sudo to make your requests with root permissions?
Cheers!
Krishna
-

Originally Posted by
krishna.murphy
Have you tried
to get more information (owner, etc.), or
sudo to make your requests with root permissions?
Cheers!
Krishna

Hi
All I get is: ls cannot access disk2s1 no such file or directory
-

Originally Posted by
Cherry5
Hi
All I get is: ls cannot access disk2s1 no such file or directory
Okay, try this: That should tell you where it is, I think. The MacOS disk format seems to be pretty challenging for other OSs...
Krishna
-
Not much luck

Originally Posted by
krishna.murphy
Okay, try this:
That should tell you where it is, I think. The MacOS disk format seems to be pretty challenging for other OSs...
Krishna

Hi
Now I get this:
locate:warning:database '/var/cache/locate/locaedb' is more than 8 days old (actual age is 61.0days)
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think that "disk2s1" is the partition's label. Usually the partition gets a mount point in the directory /media and that mount point is named after the device name. In the PCMan File Manager the partitions are often identified by their label. You might try
Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/disk2s1
to get the device name. Execution of the command delivers information about the partition's mount point if it's already mounted. Afterwards you might execute
Code:
ls -la "mount point"
Example: The partition has got the label "Cruzer1" and the device name is /dev/sda1. The mount command delivers the mount point /media/sda1. Thus I would execute in order to see the owner, group and permissions.
If the partition has not yet been mounted then the mount command won't show you a mount point, but
you might try
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/macdisk
sudo mount -o gid=1000,uid=1000 /dev/disk/by-label/disk2s1 /media/macdisk
ls -la /media/disk2s1
If this does not work then mount will give you an error message.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cherry5
/dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type hfsplus (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=10 00,nls=utf

Your USB disk has been mounted on /media/sdb1. You may not write on it but you may read. Now you might run the command to see owner, group and permissions of the files and directories.
-
After ls -al /media sdb1
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ls -al /media/sdb1
total 0
drwxrwxr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 0 Apr 10 16:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Apr 10 16:16 ..
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
-

Originally Posted by
Cherry5
After ls -al /media sdb1
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ls -al /media/sdb1
total 0
drwxrwxr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 0 Apr 10 16:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Apr 10 16:16 ..
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
Still Getting this:
Screenshot..jpg
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not sure if this wil help or not: in a root terminal, try:
Code:
aptitude update && aptitude install hfsutils
See if any of the above works better after that.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00