When you do a full HD install, what you get is basically a functionally and mentally retarded Debian variant. That's why so many of us advice against it. I do a poor man's install instead, just using partitions on the HD (extrenal or internal) instead of CD/DVD/Flash. Then I get both the advantages of HD install (mostly) and of Knoppix. Booting is done either via GRUB or syslinux - setting up with GRUB is a less error-safe, but better overall solution IMHO. But to avoid any effects of a full HD install, I don't use that mechanism to install GRUB.
I have found that for general use, this solution works better for me than a full Debian install. YMMV - there are good efficiency and system administrative reasons to go the full Debian way, but I'm amazed at how little reason there is program-wise in Knoppix 6.X. And it only gets better.
If you do a poor man's install to an external USB HD, you can check that this works on another machine before trying out your problem baby computer. I would have gone the whole way, installing GRUB on the internal HD, setting it up to boot the external HD, checking that everything works properly. And then moved everything over, trying to boot the problem computer. Without graphics at first. If this doen't work, I would have tried if ANY Linux distro could be started, and if so, simply used that.
The HW detection/automatic setup does not work so flawlessly in the recent Knoppix versions as it used to. It has become much more versatile, but seemingly much more bug-laden too. Your Debian experience, could indicate that this may have to do not with Knoppix tweaks, but with upstream bugs.

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$325.99
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95
VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC
$24.95
Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial
$89.99
RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00
Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS
$224.99
Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00