Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Turning My Machine Off

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Turning My Machine Off

    HI;

    I bought a new computer in March. It came with power management and a new kind of bios where the software takes care of turning the machine off:

    "Intel Desktop Board D845PESV"....this is also the name of the chipset.

    Since this motherboard was so brand new the latest greatest Knoppix of the time woult turn the machine off, it would only power down Knoppix.

    I saw in the "News" forum that the latest, greatest Knoppix 3.2 6/6/2003 has apm.

    I had a friend download it for me. I tried it running from my cdrom. It is still not shutting my machine off.

    Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have you tried this:

    shutdown -h now

    or this:

    halt

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Have you tried this:

    shutdown -h now

    or this:

    halt
    Both

    Steve

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    > Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

    --No.

    --Actually you could try poking around in the BIOS and see if there's a "compatibility mode" but realistically there probably won't be a way for the software to do this until the kernel is updated for the chipset.

    --I'm used to shutting my machines down manually for the most part anyway; the few that *do* power down are a nice bonus - but I *really* hate the ones where you have to hold the stupid switch for like 10 seconds. It's easier to just unplug the idiot thing. (This is where having a power strip with individual switches comes in handy.)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    > Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

    --No.

    --Actually you could try poking around in the BIOS and see if there's a "compatibility mode" but realistically there probably won't be a way for the software to do this until the kernel is updated for the chipset.

    --I'm used to shutting my machines down manually for the most part anyway; the few that *do* power down are a nice bonus - but I *really* hate the ones where you have to hold the stupid switch for like 10 seconds. It's easier to just unplug the idiot thing. (This is where having a power strip with individual switches comes in handy.)
    Thats what I thought.

    Someday I will recompile my kernel when I am ready.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Turning My Machine Off

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    I saw in the "News" forum that the latest, greatest Knoppix 3.2 6/6/2003 has apm.

    I had a friend download it for me. I tried it running from my cdrom. It is still not shutting my machine off.

    Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    I am curious to know. When you boot the 6-6-03 release is there any indication that apm is working or enabled? When I boot that release it tells me "apm BIOS detected starting apmd". I'm just wondering really what the exact problem is- does it not recognize your BIOS as apm capable OR is the enhanced functionality of that BIOS causing the problem or.......?? I have Linux currently running on 4 machines none of which have issues powering down. You say halt and they halt. Of course I don't have anything anywhere new around here. :P

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Re: Turning My Machine Off

    I gave Knoppix 6/6/03 a fresh run from the cdrom.

    I didn't see any messages that mentioned apm or apci.

    The guy at the computer store told me that intel is phasing out the bios and depending on the OS to take over those duties.

    The motherboard I have is in the first stages of that transition in leaving power manaagement up to the OS.

    Steve



    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    I saw in the "News" forum that the latest, greatest Knoppix 3.2 6/6/2003 has apm.

    I had a friend download it for me. I tried it running from my cdrom. It is still not shutting my machine off.

    Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    I am curious to know. When you boot the 6-6-03 release is there any indication that apm is working or enabled? When I boot that release it tells me "apm BIOS detected starting apmd". I'm just wondering really what the exact problem is- does it not recognize your BIOS as apm capable OR is the enhanced functionality of that BIOS causing the problem or.......?? I have Linux currently running on 4 machines none of which have issues powering down. You say halt and they halt. Of course I don't have anything anywhere new around here. :P

Similar Threads

  1. Turning off hardwaredetection in hd-installation of 3.7
    By kuki69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 08:45 PM
  2. Infomation Technology turning into business...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 11:17 AM
  3. Turning Xserver on and off?
    By Juggerboo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. turning up the volume
    By stedy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:40 PM
  5. Turning apache on during CD boot
    By jmassengill in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 03:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron  Used picture

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used

$399.00