-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I take exception with a few things here:
1) IF you manage to install it, Knoppix needs some space on the hard disk for its partition. Unless there is unallocated space that is not in another partition (unlikely), then partitions need to be modified or deleted and recreated, not a simple and easy task for a novice.
True but not that bad if you use a Gparted LiveCD.
2) If the disk contains a NTFS partition taking all of the available space (likely for a Windows user, even if the partition is nearly empty ) then writing to it at all with Knoppix is considered dangerous and may corrupt all of your data.
I won't recommend this but I am using this myself. I discovered that Knoppix 6.2 will not umount cleanly but ever since I fixed that, and plus I am using a newer ntfs-3g driver, I am pretty comfortable with this. Knoppix appears only as a few files to the host file system, most of them readonly, the only writable one is knoppix-data.img. My Usb is just too slow.
3) Knoppix is a live CD or DVD, and isn't really intended to be installed to hard disk or suitable for it. There are a few hacks for doing this, but they are for special cases such as class room use. If you want a knoppix like Linux installed to a hard disk, you are much better off installing Debian rather than Knoppix, this is what Debian is intended for. (Same space issues still apply).
I prefer ubuntu as Desktop because they always put out new things on it.
Cheers
Last edited by kl522; 06-03-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$1090.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99