-
Flash Knoppix Optional Read-Only/Persistence Partition w/ Extra Read-Write Partition
Hello! I'm new to these forums, but I'm not new to Knoppix. I post this idea here to show that I've done this and I'd like to get your ideas. I hope this idea is not against the rules.
-
I forgot to mention that I have a web page about how I done it. It can all be done within a 6.2.1 Live CD, and it can be verified under Flash. None of what I did was original, as all of it came completely the Live CD. What I did was not as simple as using the GUI, but it is not as complicated as doing it from scratch. The default methods of creating Flash Knoppix are very nice and convenient. It emulates CD security, without CD load times. The default bootup involves Knoppix mounting its own file system as read only by default. A simple boot option allows you to use persistence if you desire. This enables you to choose between the two. Alternating between the two will not affect it one bit.
Here is the link: http://fraggina.tripod.com/
It explains how I did it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@lxdeone
I read your link article, and am not clear on what you've done.
Have you partitioned the flash drive into two or more partitions?
If you haven't, I thought 6.2.1 took over all of its given partition for itself.
If you would show what gparted, or some other partitioning program
says of the flash, mounted by a _different_ linux,
that would clear this up conclusively.
I believe some people have trouble partitioning these devices, that's why
I ask.
Last edited by utu; 06-14-2010 at 03:58 PM.
-

Originally Posted by
utu
@lxdeone
I read your link article, and am not clear on what you've done.
Have you partitioned the flash drive into two or more partitions?
If you haven't, I thought 6.2.1 took over all of its given partition for itself.
Actually, it's only a set files/folders almost exactly like the source disk, within the FAT32+ filesystems common to flash drives, plus whatever persistent store you create. There's a 4GB max file size, I think, with FAT32.
If you would show what gparted, or some other partitioning program
says of the flash, mounted by a _different_ linux,
that would clear this up conclusively.
I believe some people have trouble partitioning these devices, that's why
I ask.
You really don't have to partition it, in most cases, but Gparted does give you a good look at what's there.
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. (Edit) The persistent store can be disabled on any particular boot instance, by typing Ctrl-c for the password, if you use the AES-encrypted version.
Last edited by krishna.murphy; 06-15-2010 at 05:45 AM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nice to hear from you, Krishna.
lxdeone's title led me to believe he had actually partitioned a flash drive,
that is made _two_ partitions on _one_ flash drive. I'm not confident that
this won't give some problems. I was looking for some first-hand user
encouragement. Have you actually done this yourself?
-
No - I just re-formatted it (to 1 partition, FAT32.) I've seen references to others doing multiples, though. I do believe you can't go too far wrong, because you can always re-format.
Cheers!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95