Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot stalls at black screen - video controller problem?

  1. #1

    Boot stalls at black screen - video controller problem?

    The ubcd4win forum suggested I try Knoppix to recover data from a badly behaved hard drive on a Dell XP laptop. Ubcd4win doesn't recognize the hd. I created a cd with the latest Knoppix version-works in an older desktop fine, but seems to choke on something in the hardware configuration of the laptop.
    Symptoms:
    Regular boot- gets as far as the set up, and loads hardware but then goes to a black screen with no mouse or kb access.
    Cheat codes: "no3d screen=1024x768" one helped it get further along but still not far enough.
    I don't know enough about Knoppix to report the contents of the last screen-[white text on a black background and all kinds of references I don't understand].
    It also mentioned I should try another cheat code for the graphics module: xmodule = whatever my video card is.

    Didn't try that yet because something seems to be awry with the video card on the laptop- when I did an XP reinstall on another hd, I can't change the resolution. The video controller in device manager indicates a bad (or no) driver but won't let me update it.

    So I'm wondering if I should pursue the video card angle and get that straightened out first.

    Did try a search but new to Knoppix so not sure if any of the posts I found were the same thing or not.

  2. #2
    I straightened out the driver problems so now the machine is running XP like new.....but still Knoppix stalls at the same point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



MAG X870 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard, ATX - Supports AMD Ryzen 9000 / 8000 / MSI picture

MAG X870 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard, ATX - Supports AMD Ryzen 9000 / 8000 / MSI

$143.50



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00