-
Halleleujah ! 6.2.1 Has Amazing WiFI !
I just d/l'd the latest CD+DVD, tried them in my shop Tuesday, and was TOTALLY blown away ! I had a couple of PCs in my shop w/ wireless problems. Several days ago, I'd GOOGLEd for a live CD with good wireless support, in anticipation of a day like yesterday. While the tests weren't an exhaustive, scientific survey, Knoppix 6.2.1 was most impressive.
Specifically, I had a Compaq F756 laptop and a Gateway T1630 laptop, both w/ failed WiFi under Vista. Customers were planning to reimage both, to try and restore WiFi. The Compaq customer was going to be a PITA, if reimaging didn't restore WiFi, so I boot the Compaq from my 6.2.1 disc for laughs. In a minute or so, there's a bubble message from the networking icon on the taskbar, indicating there are wireless networks available ! I select my store's [unencrypted] hotspot, as I would from Windows, w/ a couple of mouse clicks. Just like that, I have another bubble message indicating a new connection ! A few seconds later, I was on the 'net using IceWeasel, visiting various [non-Flash] websites. I mention that I skipped Flash-oriented sites, bec all of the speed test sites I know of require a Flash-compatible browser, but performance [intuitively] seemed to be very good.
I tried 6.2.1 on five other wireless computers, w/ range of chipsets, but mostly different models of Atheros, one Intel 4965, and a Belkin F5D USB adapter. One laptop (a Dell Latitude 500) crashed before reaching the desktop, but the rest worked flawlessly !
For the sake of full disclosure, these weren't exhaustive tests including connectivity to WPA/WPA2 routers, persistence, robustness, etc. However, this release is a quantum leap over the last Knoppix release I spent time networking, specifically 5.1. It took many hours of reading, configuring, testing, and more re-reading, before I got working WiFi/WPA connectivity. I do intend to do a lot more testing during the coming days. Having said all that, this development (ie. introduction of the Network Manager applet) moves Linux a big step closer to novice-compatibility.
I really thought Knoppix was dead, giving the amount of time between official releases of a live CD (in the vicinity of two years !) It appears reports of Knoppix' demise have been exaggerated....
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99