Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Saving Documents

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by sdcougar View Post
    How do you save a download or an open office word document when on a llive CD?

    Which brings up a more general question for newcomers....where do you find help/tutorials? [i see nothing in FAQ...search box brings up nothing, even on 'usb']...I don't find anything in the menu...sorry, I am not a geek; first experience with a live cd....hope not the last..
    My hard drives are NTFS windows 7. When I click on home on the desktop, the hard drives are listed in the left column. I can then click on them, and drill down. The top directory of an NTFS drive is /media/sdxn, where x is a letter like a,b,c ... and n is a number (the partition number). The hard drive is already mounted, and I can just save my stuff to /media/sda1/..., for instance: /media/sdb1/Users/Public/Documents I installed the 6.2 DVD, I believe, and if I go into open office, help, it says I need to install some package. Unless you have persistant storage (USB flash, not CD/DVD), or you remaster Knoppix, and install the help yourself, I doubt if you will get help. Looks like they cut corners here.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKlug View Post
    My hard drives are NTFS windows 7. When I click on home on the desktop, the hard drives are listed in the left column. I can then click on them, and drill down. The top directory of an NTFS drive is /media/sdxn, where x is a letter like a,b,c ... and n is a number (the partition number). The hard drive is already mounted
    Hmm - I think it's the click on the drive icon in PCman (started automatically by the click on Home) that mounts them, in most cases. My own NTFS partition is mounted by default because I'm forcing that with the way I boot up (which is because I'm using the NTFS partition for my KNOPPIX directory.) I am definitely able to use things from, and store to, my Windows "My Documents" folder, for instance. Just boot the CD and type
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    the first time or
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    thereafter to do the same.

    Regards, Krishna

    and I can just save my stuff to /media/sda1/..., for instance: /media/sdb1/Users/Public/Documents I installed the 6.2 DVD, I believe, and if I go into open office, help, it says I need to install some package. Unless you have persistant storage (USB flash, not CD/DVD), or you remaster Knoppix, and install the help yourself, I doubt if you will get help. Looks like they cut corners here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$202.46