Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Basic help for beginners

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5

    Basic help for beginners

    An easy to find help/tutorial section for beginners

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    I started off with Ubuntu about 5years ago. New to computers and I soon found my way around their forum .
    I'm still a newby and am trying Knoppix for a change; but an 'Absolute Beginers' Forum' would be a great help to the elderly like myself.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I started off with Ubuntu about 5years ago. New to computers and I soon found my way around their forum .
    I'm still a newby and am trying Knoppix for a change; but an 'Absolute Beginers' Forum' would be a great help to the elderly like myself
    ... why that? You'll do a harddrive installation of Knoppix instead of Ubuntu? Please have a look at HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it (or in German) and be aware: Knoppix harddrive installation doesn't have security updates.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.
    I've installed Knoppix to a flash drive. after trying it on a live CD. I like it, and, as an old newby/elderly I'd like to think that there's a place for me on your forum, as there has been for a number of years with Ubuntu.
    Have a look at the Ubuntu forum. Let me know if there are any changes you'd think of makeing on yours.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    There is certainly a place for you here.
    I personaly think a pure Debian install would be better but it is up to you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I was thinking the same thing as this thread. I'm a windows user that has been playing around with ubuntu for a couple of months. There is the section for Windows and new users:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/forums/...s-New-to-Linux

    but still as a user new to Knoppix, it is pretty rugged going. I have a good reason to be here on the Knoppix forum, because of issues with ubuntu 11.10 on my desktop. So far, I've only managed to install one application out of the set that I've been using on ubuntu (Keepnote) and that was with lots of help. Oh, not counting GIMP, that started fine.

    Part of the problem may be that I'm running 6.7 CD rather than 6.7.1 DVD, I'm not sure.

    Firefox 8 or Iceweasel
    Thunderbird 8 or alternative
    Openshot
    Keepnote
    SpiderOak

    For very common software that is not immediately included, the commands to install would help.

    Here is what we went through with Firefox and Keepnote - have keepnote working (with lots of help), still working on getting Firefox or Iceweasel to run.

    KeepNote and some Firefox
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...alled-KeepNote

    Firefox or Iceweasel - still working on this
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...Knoppix-6.7-CD

    Knoppix seems like a great OS, but can be tough going for beginners and I'm not sure why.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Knoppix seems like a great OS, but can be tough going for beginners and I'm not sure why.
    You didn't read HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it (or in German)?
    Knoppix is designed as a Live distribution to run from DVD (CD) as it is!

    It isn't designed to use it as any other distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and so on with their abilities to update, upgrade and expand their software pool. And important to say, there are no security-updates, user-management and password-management!

    Yes, of course, you can remaster Knoppix, but it isn't an easy to do job for beginners.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I agree with Werner that this uniqueness of Knoppix is often unfortunately overlooked.

    I never use Knoppix as a hard drive install with the possible exception
    of using 0wn as a means to the end of re-mastering.

    In the past, prior to version 6 of Knoppix, I used a Knoppix LiveCD with a 'persistent home'
    on my hdd. Beginning with version 6, it was possible to have both the LiveCD material
    AND the persistence file on a single, self-booting USB.

    LiveUSBs have been my standard mode of operation for ALL distros since.
    So compact, and no need to fuss with dual booting except via normal bios selections.
    I'm disappointed that not all distros offer this mode.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    It isn't designed to use it as any other distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and so on with their abilities to update, upgrade and expand their software pool. And important to say, there are no security-updates, user-management and password-management!
    I was wondering about not having a logon password, but figured that might have something to do with not choosing the encryption for the home.

    Not sure what to think about not installing software that we need to make use of the operating system. Perhaps this is a good reason to get the DVD rather than the CD (or both) next time.

    I did see the hard disk install message, but didn't think much of it since I run from a portable USB that I use on multiple PCs.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-06-2011 at 07:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    .. software that we need to make use of the operating system ..
    For security reasons: don't use Knoppix as your operating system!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99