Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Basic help for beginners

Threaded View

  1. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I never use Knoppix as a hard drive install with the possible exception
    of using 0wn as a means to the end of re-mastering.
    For security reasons: don't use Knoppix as your operating system!
    Let me first say that the authors of the above quotes know a lot more about linux and knoppix than I do.

    However, it is hard to pick the right distribution. My first pick is ubuntu 11.10, but alas while 11.04 runs on both my laptop and my desktop, 11.10 does not run on my desktop for unknown reasons. Knoppix 6.7.1 runs on both as well as an old pre-windows XP PC that I have.

    I've ordered disks and at least given a cursory look at the following distros:

    utuntu 11.04 and 11.10
    knoppix 6.7 and 6.7.1
    AV Linux 5.0 and 5.02
    Zorin OS 5.1 Core
    Puppy Linux 5.2.8
    Linux Mint 12
    openSUSE 12.1
    Debian Live 6.0.3 GNOME
    PC Linux OS Gnome 2010.12
    Bodhi

    My search has been shallow, but I have been seriously looking for linux distribution that I can use on an ongoing basis. To knoppix's credit and detriment, at this point, knoppix is my second choice. This is a pretty good complement for knoppix to be 2nd after struggling with installation issues and so far not being able to install standard Firefox or Thunderbird:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...Knoppix-6.7-CD

    Also quite the accomplishment for ubuntu 11.10 to be first, given it doesn't even run on my desktop.

    My thinking is that I'll keep making progress with knoppix and be able to run the very popular applications while avoiding a lot of stuff I don't need.

    The password / security discussion may be beyond me. The 2nd time I installed knoppix I choose the encryption option, which resulted in an encrypted USB drive and a required password - so I might be missing the point of this whole discussion - seems like security to me.

    Anyway, if there are other knoppix people that have information on how to get a standard set of popular applications running under knoppix, let's share information:

    Standard Firefox and Thunderbird 8 with addons - Google contacts, Lightning, QuickFox Notes, ReminderFox, Address Book Tab, Google Contacts in Tab
    Openshot 1.4 video editor
    KeepNote 0.7.7 (I have this running on knoppix with help from the forum - thank you)
    SpiderOak 4.1.9907 with help from the forum

    So far, I've been impressed with knoppix - All my linux work as been done with either CD / DVD or USB boot drives
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-18-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99