Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Using True Type fonts

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Using True Type fonts

    There must be some specific Debian way of doing this, but I suspect that the TrueType Fonts in Debian mini-HOWTO is out of date (last updated in January 2000), for the life of me I can't understand the defoma man pages (and I don't think Gimp or OOo can use defoma anyway).

    Using dfontmgr seems to just result in fonts not being loaded into Abiword properly (or abiword crashing on selecting some ttf fonts).

    Am I alone in feeling despirited that fonts in Linux are still such a pain?

    Any help, ideas, pointers to up to date documentation, etc., welcome! I see someone on the Debian list says to use the Anti Aliasing HOWTO........

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Go here

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Thanks: I'll give it a go!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hello !

    There is a simple way to install windows truetype fonts in knoppix ...
    1. create a directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype/win
    2. copy your windows truetype fonts into this directory.
    3. install ttmkfdir (apt-get install ttmkfdir)
    4. go to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/win (being root)
    5. type the following line : ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
    6. then type : ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
    7. Add in your XF86config-4 :
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/win"
    8. Restart X
    9. et Voila !

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Well, that's been partially sucessful: I now have all my ttfs in Open Office org, but I can't get them in Gimp .

    Is there anything peculiar about the way XF86 - 4 serves fonts to Gimp? Or Debian? I ask because in the past, just doing xset fp+ [path_to_fonts] and xset fp rehash worked just fine. Also because my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains a cryptic reference to Gimp which I've never seen before (all the fonts stuff here just in case I've messed up elsewhere):


    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    #FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    #FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX"
    # Additional fonts: Locale, Gimp, TTF...
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    # FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/75dpi"
    # FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/100dpi"
    # True type and type1 fonts are also handled via xftlib, see /etc/X11/XftConfig!
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/defoma/CID"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/defoma/TrueType"

    I'd add that the ttfs I want in Gimp are stuff like Harquil, not the plain Jane M$ stuff (I have the "free" "net" ttfs anyway).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Update:

    got it

    ttmkfdir [path]

    update-fonts-dir [path] (complains about absolute path, but WTH)

    xset fp+ [path]

    xset fp rehash

    That only took about 6 hours!

    Dontcha love ttf in Linux?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Try this next time.

    Go to the KDE Control Center, System Administration, Font Installer, Administrator Mode.

    You should then be able to simply select your fonts and they will be autmatically configured and installed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I might try that later! But doesn't it only work for Kde applications?

    BTW, your penguin looks much wiser than mine!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    No it should install system wide. I've used it before and I did a test again last night and installed a new font. I was then sucessfully able to bring it up in Abiword and Open Office. I've got Gome 2.2 installed and fonts FINALLY look good in the Gnome abiword. The key to systemwide instalation is making sure you install it in "adminstrator mode". BTW, the control center always seems to crash at the end of this process, but it doesn't seem to affect the font instalation - it still works despite the crash.

    For those new to linux this seems to be a much easier way to install fonts than via the command line. The only problem is that the Font Installer is kind of tucked away in the KDE control center and not many people seem to be aware of it. The only reason I found it is cause some wise penguin told me

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Wow! Works fine for me (and the control centre -- I logged in as root and used it from there -- didn't crash)

Similar Threads

  1. How to install True Type Fonts?
    By jariep in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:10 AM
  2. True Type Fonts?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:30 PM
  3. Prometeus-III the profecy is true :-)
    By Arman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 11:21 AM
  4. Is it Possible to Use True Type Fonts?
    By primetime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:02 AM
  5. HOWTO: Install true type fonts in Knoppix
    By aay in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00