Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Do I have the right program?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    Do I have the right program?

    I was able to download Knoppix, put it on a CD and boot my computer up to a Knoppix screen. It does not seem to be similar to what I am supposed to see ie...an icon with a hard drive. All I see is a black screen that says Adriane on top with the options listed below as 0 press ENTER for help, 1 WWW, 2 E-mail, 3 Chat, 4 SMS, 5 Multimedia, 6 Contacts, 7 Notebook, 8 Text Scanner, 9 File Manager, 10 Shell, 11 Graphical Programs, 12 Setup & 13 Shutdown.

    What I wanted to do was copy my documents to save them and then see if I could get the computer to start normally.

    I am in DRC Congo with no startup cd for this Vaio laptop. The version of Knoppix that I downloaded was: Knoppix Adriane version 6.2_cd. Did I download the correct file?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Adriane version

    Hey-

    You got the wrong version (text reader mode default), but it's easy to use it as a GUI instead. Just boot up and type in
    Code:
    knoppix
    and you'll adjust that default behavior.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheadlee View Post
    ...... The version of Knoppix that I downloaded was: Knoppix Adriane version 6.2_cd. Did I download the correct file?
    Versions with Adriane in the name are targeted at the visually impaired, and as already stated you can bypass this by typing in "knoppix" at the boot prompt. In the future it would likely be better to download a version without Adriane. Also, pay attention to the EN and DE in the names, with indicate a default to English or German.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99