Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: permissions denied error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    permissions denied error

    Hi
    I started Knoppix from CD
    on MacBookPro
    and everithing seems OK
    connected external hard drives, everithing fine
    but when I try to make a new folder on any of connected hard drives it would not let me
    there is Error
    or if I want to move files from one external hard drive to another it would not let me

    can someone explain to me please whats wrong?
    I need to move some files from hard which is only shows up in Linux!!!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Hey-

    Can you copy it to an internal drive? Or perhaps a flash drive? I'd be curious to know the esoteric details, but it sounds like you just want to move some files off a Linux filesystem. Perhaps you should upload them, maybe to a Google site, then download them with the MacOS.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Hey-

    Can you copy it to an internal drive? Or perhaps a flash drive? I'd be curious to know the esoteric details, but it sounds like you just want to move some files off a Linux filesystem. Perhaps you should upload them, maybe to a Google site, then download them with the MacOS.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    no man
    situation is much worse

    I have 1TB Hard Drive, it is devided in 2 partitions: 1st Mac Extended, 2nd FAT32
    the one which is FAT32 does not mount on OS X
    when connect to Windows it feezes everything
    when I connect hard drive using Knoppix Live Cd
    I can see both partitions, it opens folders on FAT32 partition very slowly
    but it OPENS them.
    So I thought I'll move files from faulty drive that way, well, try.
    But it would not let me change anything on working partition
    or on other hard drive I connected,
    it seems like I do not have enough permisions?
    but why?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
    no man
    situation is much worse

    I have 1TB Hard Drive, it is devided in 2 partitions: 1st Mac Extended, 2nd FAT32
    the one which is FAT32 does not mount on OS X
    when connect to Windows it feezes everything
    when I connect hard drive using Knoppix Live Cd
    I can see both partitions, it opens folders on FAT32 partition very slowly
    but it OPENS them.
    So I thought I'll move files from faulty drive that way, well, try.
    But it would not let me change anything on working partition
    or on other hard drive I connected,
    it seems like I do not have enough permisions?
    but why?
    So, assuming you are using 6.2 or above, your internal drive partitions are most likely mounted at /media/sda1 and /media/sda2 - you can open a terminal window and then (for instance)
    Code:
    ls -la /media/sda1|less
    which will display the owner, group and read/write permissions for that partition's filesystem and all the sub-stuff - it will freeze after one screenful and allow you to page up or down, etc. An external drive would probably be at /media/sdb1 (once it's mounted.) BTW, you can always type
    Code:
    man command
    to get more information on a command, or search google the same way.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Try installing hfsutils.

    Start->Preferences->Synaptic Package Manager

    Search for hfsutils, mark for installation, apply.

    Not sure this will help in this case but worth a try.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard

$89.00