Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Adding overlay size in boot does nothing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Adding overlay size in boot does nothing

    I am using 6.2. I downloaded Knoppix and installed it to an 8GB USB drive.

    It asks during boot for the size of the overlay file (300MB to 4000MB). I enter 3000MB, and do OK, and it does not ask me anything about encryption, it just boots. I have a very fast system, so maybe there is some kind of timing issue?


    Here are the instructions I used to install the flash drive:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install...ve-in-windows/

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    Here is an ls of where I thought the overlay file belongs:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKlug View Post
    I am using 6.2. I downloaded Knoppix and installed it to an 8GB USB drive.

    It asks during boot for the size of the overlay file (300MB to 4000MB). I enter 3000MB, and do OK, and it does not ask me anything about encryption, it just boots. I have a very fast system, so maybe there is some kind of timing issue?


    Here are the instructions I used to install the flash drive:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install...ve-in-windows/

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    Here is an ls of where I thought the overlay file belongs:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    I suggest you dump everything on the flash, reboot, and use the built-in flash install utility ("Install Knoppix to flash disk" on the Preferences menu.)

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    I solved my problem. I think that the documentation is a bit weak in this area.

    Since the "personal file" choice said between 300MB to 4000MB, I thought I should enter something like 3000MB. I even tried 3GB.

    This is incorrect. It wants only the integer.

    Am I completely alone in thinking that it wanted the "MB"? Otherwise I think they should make this clear somewhere. I have not seen any screenshots or examples of what to enter for the response for the "personal file" during boot.

    I can't figure out how to enter a bug report on 6.2. Bug reports seem to stop at 5.3:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs

    Here is what I could find on customization:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_FAQ

    Do I add something of my own to the custmization wiki?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Glad to know your problem is solved.

    Do I add something of my own to the custmization wiki?
    It's a Wiki, JohnKlug, go right ahead, register, update away and make it more useful for others

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    I updated the customization FAQ, specifying that the size must be an integer:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_FAQ

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung PM9A1 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 MZ-VL21T0A 2280 OEM Tested picture

Samsung PM9A1 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 MZ-VL21T0A 2280 OEM Tested

$105.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Apple Macbook Pro 16

Apple Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max 10-Core 32GB 1TB - Good

$1099.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$505.41



HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1769.85



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$465.02



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99