Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Wrong Resolution Detected

  1. #1

    Wrong Resolution Detected

    Using an old HP OmniBook XE notebook. Can't get (any Linux) to correctly use the entire screen. 800x600 is the max used, but that leaves 4cm around the entire screen black. I assume it's supposed to be 1024x768.

    Doesn't make any difference if I Live Boot or Install.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Lance
    Last edited by LanceHaverkamp; 05-05-2010 at 01:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHaverkamp View Post
    Using an old HP OmniBook XE notebook. Can't get (any Linux) to correctly use the entire screen. 800x600 is the max used, but that leaves 4cm around the entire screen black. I assume it's supposed to be 1024x768.

    Doesn't make any difference if I Live Boot or Install.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Lance
    Hit the F2 and F3 keys when it first boots up (big penguin on the screen) for suggestions. One way to go might be
    Code:
    knoppix screen=1280x1024
    or whatever resolution you like.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Good idea, but no luck there. Before X, when the green bar is going across the screen during boot, the whole screen is being utilized. But as soon as X starts, it's got a huge black border around the visible screen & the max resolution selectable is 800X600.

    On the HD install, I tried manually entering 1024x768 into xorg.conf & rebooting, but then X fails to start at all.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Do you know what graphics chip is used in your lappy? It sounds like a driver issue, which is rare with Knoppix, but it must have happened. If you search for it on Google or whatever search engine you like, you will probably find where someone else has run into a similar problem and you can use the driver that they used. You also might want to try this (from the cheatcodes file in the KNOPPIX folder of the CD)
    Code:
    knoppix fb1280x1024
    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

  5. #5
    After doing some more digging, I've decided that this little notebook video is too freaky of an old system to bother fixing-up:

    As it turns-out, even Win98 (which it was designed for) won't display properly without a post-install change of drivers. There's a Silicon Motion Lynx/LynxE display driver provided by HP for Win95/Win98. Apparently XFree86 did support this display system, but xorg does not. It's probably possible to switch from xorg to XFree86, but I really don't want to learn how, as I'm an end-user, not a Linux hobbyist (since I'm sure it wont autoconfig).

    Thanks for the help!

    Lance


  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHaverkamp View Post
    After doing some more digging, I've decided that this little notebook video is too freaky of an old system to bother fixing-up:

    As it turns-out, even Win98 (which it was designed for) won't display properly without a post-install change of drivers. There's a Silicon Motion Lynx/LynxE display driver provided by HP for Win95/Win98. Apparently XFree86 did support this display system, but xorg does not. It's probably possible to switch from xorg to XFree86, but I really don't want to learn how, as I'm an end-user, not a Linux hobbyist (since I'm sure it wont autoconfig).

    Thanks for the help!

    Lance

    Okay, I hear that. FWIW, there's a note in the cheatcodes:
    Code:
    knoppix norandr
    Disable Xorg RandR feature (may be useful if wrong resolution was detected)
    Would you mind trying that and letting me know how it worked, even though you don't intend to use it?

    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-08-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Readability

  7. #7
    Nope, didn't work. Given the fact that it won't even work right for the o/s it was designed for (Win98), without a special driver installation, I suspect the hardware is simply reporting itself as the wrong size (or possibly the wrong dpi). Knoppox (and every other xorg-based Linux I've tried) is correctly configuring itself for what it's being told by the lousy hardware. I don't know if there's an easy-to-install Linux that uses XFree86 anymore, but we've reached that point of no-longer worth the effort for a 13 year old notebook.

    Thanks again, you're the best!

    Lance
    Last edited by LanceHaverkamp; 05-08-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Disable smilies in text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$145.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



Western Digital WD 3.5

Western Digital WD 3.5" Western Digital Red 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD - Works great

$79.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99