Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Removing lxde

  1. #1
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5

    Removing lxde

    I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.

    How do I set gdm as the default?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Since the cheatcodes say
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm
    and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=gdm
    to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.

    I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Last edited by klaus2008; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?
    Code:
    SESSION="gnome"
    Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.

    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    [code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
    worked just fine without the ""
    I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100% picture

(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%

$1299.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S  2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory picture

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory

$27.95



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 3000MHz CMK32GX4M4C3000C15 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 3000MHz CMK32GX4M4C3000C15

$139.99



8GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM Upgrade Kit (2x4GB) for MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini - 1067MHz/10 picture

8GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM Upgrade Kit (2x4GB) for MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini - 1067MHz/10

$50.99