-
Junior Member
Removing lxde
I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.
How do I set gdm as the default?
-
Since the cheatcodes say
Code:
knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm
and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
Code:
knoppix desktop=gdm
to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Junior Member
Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.
I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
Last edited by klaus2008; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.
-
Junior Member

Originally Posted by
klaus2008
I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.
-

Originally Posted by
klaus2008
I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?
Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.
Krishna
-
Junior Member
[code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
worked just fine without the ""
I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00