Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Removing lxde

  1. #1
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5

    Removing lxde

    I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.

    How do I set gdm as the default?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Since the cheatcodes say
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm
    and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=gdm
    to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.

    I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Last edited by klaus2008; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?
    Code:
    SESSION="gnome"
    Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.

    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    [code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
    worked just fine without the ""
    I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



PalmConnect Serial Kit for Mac - Vintage Software CD-ROM picture

PalmConnect Serial Kit for Mac - Vintage Software CD-ROM

$59.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals

$50.00



VINTAGE Apple 3.5 Drive External 3½

VINTAGE Apple 3.5 Drive External 3½" Floppy Drive DB-19 Beige | P/N A9M0106

$159.00



Sonnet Tempo Trio PCI Controller Card Vintage Apple Mac ATA/IDE + FireWire + USB picture

Sonnet Tempo Trio PCI Controller Card Vintage Apple Mac ATA/IDE + FireWire + USB

$150.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Vintage Apple Mac PC Max604cpu PowerPC Processor CPU Daughterboard picture

Vintage Apple Mac PC Max604cpu PowerPC Processor CPU Daughterboard

$54.95



VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software  picture

VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software

$200.00