Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Removing lxde

  1. #1
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5

    Removing lxde

    I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.

    How do I set gdm as the default?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Since the cheatcodes say
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm
    and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=gdm
    to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.

    I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Last edited by klaus2008; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?
    Code:
    SESSION="gnome"
    Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.

    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    [code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
    worked just fine without the ""
    I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$2500.00



Vintage AutoCAD  2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code picture

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code

$144.45



Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor  Other picture

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other

$299.99



LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic picture

LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic

$59.99



Vintage 1984 IBM Network Access Computer NAC Model 2-L Dynamic Telecom U.S. TEL picture

Vintage 1984 IBM Network Access Computer NAC Model 2-L Dynamic Telecom U.S. TEL

$199.99



Vintage HP F1003A 512K RAM Card for LX Series Palmtop Computers - TESTED WORKS picture

Vintage HP F1003A 512K RAM Card for LX Series Palmtop Computers - TESTED WORKS

$99.99



Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Multi-Pen Plotter 26-1191 6-Color 1981 w/ Cover picture

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Multi-Pen Plotter 26-1191 6-Color 1981 w/ Cover

$349.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88



Apple Ethernet CS II Card BOX AND MANUAL ONLY- Vintage Network Interface picture

Apple Ethernet CS II Card BOX AND MANUAL ONLY- Vintage Network Interface

$59.99