Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Removing lxde

  1. #1
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5

    Removing lxde

    I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.

    How do I set gdm as the default?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Since the cheatcodes say
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm
    and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=gdm
    to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.

    I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Last edited by klaus2008; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
    Code:
    SESSION=gnome
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
    I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?
    Code:
    SESSION="gnome"
    Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.

    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member jheaton5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Posts
    5
    [code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
    worked just fine without the ""
    I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5

$375.00



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR picture

Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR

$14.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested

$54.50



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00