Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Desktop is being blocked - neverending story

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Did you just boot a CD/DVD, do an install to hd or flash, or are you using the "poor mans install?" If you have a "persistent store" (or full hd install) then whatever changes you've made (Polish keyboard?) most likely are causing the trouble. If not, it's got to be a hardware issue or a bad disk, I guess.

    My suggestion, absent more information about the specifics, would be to boot a CD and see if the problem is solved. Assuming that's so, then you have some kind of persistence; so, you can either try to repair by changing the things you've been working with back to the default or (best looking to me) just dump the persistent store and then start over, making the changes you need step-by-step, monitoring for the problem you've been having as you go. You will, of course, want to preserve any files you created for future reference/use to create the system you desire and keep any documents, etc. that are stored within the permanent store.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. You can also try disabling Compiz (the fancy desktop effects package) by using the cheatcode:
    Code:
    knoppix no3d
    for diagnostic and/or further use purposes.
    I started just my sys by full HD install. No polish keyboad (I didn't knew it exists 2 month ago . then I've lost DVD access, permissions and so on, by clicking or loading some keyboard shortcut, don't know which. Compiz doesn't load automatically, but every time I put something from my Cell phone on the dekstop something changes and I see miniatures I see more like variable desktop icon positions I can change and it;s good, but when I unplug my USB, everything changes back

    How could I lost my permissions when I didn't had them at the begginning?

    My disc is good, I've checked him.

    Anyway, I can't start over, cause I watch movies ad I have no other external to collect and store them. I use Knoppix since 2 months and the problems started in the first 2 weeks ...

    I assume I used some keystroke with Shift or Fn on my laptop, so I lost my provileges.

    Every time I go inside into "Skin Selector", I see an error, that Gnome can't be run? Anyway, the skin shows. The skins have folders like Metacity and Gnome, but there is no KDE. I don't know that much what it is, what it does and what happened.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Can you check your permission for the Desktop folder /home/knoppix/Desktop - the Owner should be knoppix with group knoppix and owner should have full read,write and execute permissions for this folder. May be you simply have changed the permission for your desktop. This is just a guess

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    35

    Red face

    I can check it, sure. TOday I'm at work and it's 10 a.m. so I think in the evening I'll check and tell you.

    But I think it's rather I changed desktop permissions somehow, maybe by some keyboard shortcut.

    Ps. How can I check permissions with right click when I can't use right mouse click on the dektop?
    Last edited by GizmoPlushie; 05-25-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: addon 1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    In terminal
    ls -ld /home/knoppix/Desktop

    You should see something like this:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 4096 May 25 07:09 /home/knoppix/Desktop

    DRWXR means - D - directory R-read W-write X-execute for owner
    XR is read and execute for the group and for other users. If you see this it means your permissions are fine

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    35
    Let's assume settings are fine and I mistakenly - as a newbie - changed them to another more limited group:

    So,

    1). Is it possible to change it back?
    2). Will it restore desktop icons / root folders - functionality? (like drag and drop icons, see them like miniatures and the most important: right click on the dekstop?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$1090.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00