Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Desktop is being blocked - neverending story

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Can you check your permission for the Desktop folder /home/knoppix/Desktop - the Owner should be knoppix with group knoppix and owner should have full read,write and execute permissions for this folder. May be you simply have changed the permission for your desktop. This is just a guess

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    35

    Red face

    I can check it, sure. TOday I'm at work and it's 10 a.m. so I think in the evening I'll check and tell you.

    But I think it's rather I changed desktop permissions somehow, maybe by some keyboard shortcut.

    Ps. How can I check permissions with right click when I can't use right mouse click on the dektop?
    Last edited by GizmoPlushie; 05-25-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: addon 1

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    In terminal
    ls -ld /home/knoppix/Desktop

    You should see something like this:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 4096 May 25 07:09 /home/knoppix/Desktop

    DRWXR means - D - directory R-read W-write X-execute for owner
    XR is read and execute for the group and for other users. If you see this it means your permissions are fine

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    35
    Let's assume settings are fine and I mistakenly - as a newbie - changed them to another more limited group:

    So,

    1). Is it possible to change it back?
    2). Will it restore desktop icons / root folders - functionality? (like drag and drop icons, see them like miniatures and the most important: right click on the dekstop?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$509.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99