Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Memory error while using Knoppix Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Memory error while using Knoppix Live CD

    I'm trying to boot my computer using Knoppix Live CD 5.1.1 after my computer crashed again and it's the only Live CD that I have. After I hit enter and it starts loading I see the penguin picture than after about 3 lines of loading I get: Accessing Knoppix CD at /dev/hda...insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloup.ko' : -1 Out of memory It repeats the error than does nothing. I've used this version Knoppix CD before on the same computer with no worries. I'm new to where I live so I don't know anyone who could download a new version for me if thats the case. I know pretty much nothing about Linux, I just need to get some stuff off my hard drive before I get rid of my computer it now time for an upgrade. I know It's a memory error and probably not the disc itself but any ideas or suggestions to help me out would be greatful.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by fats_mat View Post
    I'm trying to boot my computer using Knoppix Live CD 5.1.1 after my computer crashed again and it's the only Live CD that I have. After I hit enter and it starts loading I see the penguin picture than after about 3 lines of loading I get: Accessing Knoppix CD at /dev/hda...insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloup.ko' : -1 Out of memory It repeats the error than does nothing. I've used this version Knoppix CD before on the same computer with no worries. I'm new to where I live so I don't know anyone who could download a new version for me if thats the case. I know pretty much nothing about Linux, I just need to get some stuff off my hard drive before I get rid of my computer it now time for an upgrade. I know It's a memory error and probably not the disc itself but any ideas or suggestions to help me out would be greatful.
    It could be a bad/marginal CD or CD drive; try typing F2/F3 when you see the penguin for help - there should be a disk self-test option, maybe this one:
    Code:
    knoppix testcd
    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00