-
Doesn't boot with "no3d"
Boot crashes when "no3d" used. When not used, boots fine but compiz is extremely slow and buggy (Worst. Software. Ever.)ATI Radeon 8500 graphics card.Another option to try?
-
Senior Member
registered user
This has something to do with the video driver in use. Try booting with one of this cheatcodes
fb1024x768, or knoppix xmodule=vesa, or knoppix xmodule=fbdev
This is not a permanent solution but at least you will know where the problem is and try to update the video driver if there is one available
-
I got it to work this way: knoppix xmodule=radeon no3d
-
Further investigation has clarified the situation. I can reliably boot Knoppix 6 (any options) from a COLD start. But it's not reliable from a reset. (Never had this problem with Knoppix 5)
-
I encountered this same problem/symptom occasionally over the years, before Knoppix 6 was released. I think it may be some hardware initialization that is left to the hardware itself. I've seen some pretty strange hardware glitches over time...
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Well, I thought I had it figured out, but no. It's just not reliable, period. Doesn't matter what options, or cold or warm boot...it fails randomly.In any case, no3d is absolutely essential. Without no3d, the system is unusable even when the boot works.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you post with what video driver does knoppix boot ? Did you try the xmodule=vesa ? When you use xmodule=radeon it's not guerantee that knoppix will use that driver - it will try to use it, but if it does not work it will fall back to fbdev or vesa. So if you boot a few times successfully using vesa or fbdev then it's really the video driver to blame. I still think there is nothing else to blame
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sounds like a hardware detection problem to me. Hardware response patterns may vary from time to time, in particular in timing, and the system gets set off in different directions. I would have tried heaping up cheatcodes to see if it could possibly stabilize the initialization, and eventually remove them one by one afterwards. Did you try to specify the screen resolution, for example? I have had to do that.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD
$149.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$71.49

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX
$59.99

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00