-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks, so, when installing new software in Knoppix, the executables, libraries, etc. that I install go into the "/" file system, and only personal settings are stored in the persistent file - is that true?
If not, all those files/libraries/executables will fill up the persistent file really fast!
I was looking at the Debian repos and there is a TON of cool software there that isn't in OpenSuSE repos (the other distro I use). So I guess I'll do a permanent install and put it into GRUB. I don't want to do pure Debian because Knoppix has the hardware detection I need for my laptop.
Last edited by PattiMichell; 05-24-2010 at 04:29 PM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you do an install to a flash drive I believe you do not have a full install. You have a 'poor man's install' where the Knoppix file, kernel and minirt file are copied across. These files cannot change so any changes, be they data, additional programs or program settings are stored to the persistent file.
(see http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix62-en.html note 6)
With this approach your worry about potentially running out of space if you install lots of apps is perfectly valid so you would need to create an appropriately sized persistent file.
If you do a full install to hard drive/flash drive then you should have a full knoppix file system (not just three files) and a persistent file is not needed. Additional programs will now go to the knoppix file system. However, this is not the recommended installation method (see note 6 again) although some do it.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks - this makes sense. Now I'm deliberating on exactly what kind of install to do. I also tried desktop=kde but LXDE still comes up.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK hynix 16GB DDR5 5600 PC5-5600B 262-Pin SO-DIMM Non-ECC RAM
$200.00

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GTZR
$159.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM 288-Pin Intel XMP 2.0
$55.00

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

HP 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2666v 840758-091
$205.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99