Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: confused by password stuff

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    Maybe that's my problem!! I put "2000 MB" since the example shows the "MB" - I'll try again... Does the user always stay "knoppix" or do I create a user "patti" like in other distros?
    It's the conventional wisdom that Knoppix has been extensively customized (from the base distro, Debian) for use as a single-user LiveCD. Persistence has been added recently, which could allow for multiple users, but the heavy customization more-or-less precludes that. It's pretty easy to boot to the SD-Knoppix on most any "modern" system, making it a very portable little "system on a card"; if you need to install something else on your home system with multiple-user capability for others in your home (for instance) that wouldn't stop you booting it there too.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. I'm imagining a multi-user version of Knoppix that works by allowing for the existence of multiple knoppix-data files. I can "emulate" that now (crudely) by renaming the one that's on my flash drive and creating another, which has all-different customization and private files. The downside of this crude approach is that there's a bunch of stuff I added to the SYSTEM (Google Chrome, etc.) that will "stick to" my original k-data file. There are numerous potential advantages (and disadvantages) to using something like this approach, I think.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Thanks, so, when installing new software in Knoppix, the executables, libraries, etc. that I install go into the "/" file system, and only personal settings are stored in the persistent file - is that true?

    If not, all those files/libraries/executables will fill up the persistent file really fast!

    I was looking at the Debian repos and there is a TON of cool software there that isn't in OpenSuSE repos (the other distro I use). So I guess I'll do a permanent install and put it into GRUB. I don't want to do pure Debian because Knoppix has the hardware detection I need for my laptop.
    Last edited by PattiMichell; 05-24-2010 at 04:29 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    If you do an install to a flash drive I believe you do not have a full install. You have a 'poor man's install' where the Knoppix file, kernel and minirt file are copied across. These files cannot change so any changes, be they data, additional programs or program settings are stored to the persistent file.

    (see http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix62-en.html note 6)

    With this approach your worry about potentially running out of space if you install lots of apps is perfectly valid so you would need to create an appropriately sized persistent file.

    If you do a full install to hard drive/flash drive then you should have a full knoppix file system (not just three files) and a persistent file is not needed. Additional programs will now go to the knoppix file system. However, this is not the recommended installation method (see note 6 again) although some do it.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Thanks - this makes sense. Now I'm deliberating on exactly what kind of install to do. I also tried desktop=kde but LXDE still comes up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99