Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: confused by password stuff

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    I think that's probably FAT-Ex, M$oft's newer offering (which apparently has been adopted by flash device makers.) There seems to be no FS-related difficulty with large files on my 8GB USB-stick, but I used 2GB for that persistent store anyway, to leave room for both the 4GB KNOPPIX file/folder and some (Windows-accessible) unused FAT space. Knoppix itself can be installed on many if not most FSs, FWIW.

    Cheers again!
    Krishna
    Hmmm... didn't think I needed to do a persistent store since I have a dedicated SD drive to knoppix. So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file, but it didn't do anything... Should I just create a new user (me)?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    Hmmm... didn't think I needed to do a persistent store since I have a dedicated SD drive to knoppix. So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file, but it didn't do anything... Should I just create a new user (me)?
    It's a fairly subtle thing - you might have missed it. It should create an encrypted file called knoppix-data.aes in the KNOPPIX folder on the SD card, in this case. The next time you boot, it should prompt you for the password you set for that file, then integrate everything inside with the file system you get when it's not there to create the effect of "changeability" without having to allow anything to actually change in the base install file.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-22-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarity

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Maybe I forgot to request an encrypted install when I did the to-SD install applet in the Live DVD? I don't remember seeing anything in the applet for a default home either. Maybe I have to do that manually still (even though there's an applet)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2 picture

Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2

$949.99



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$1029.99



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19