Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: confused by password stuff

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell
    I guess since Knoppix uses FAT32 - the biggest I can make it is ~2GB...
    If your flash device uses FAT32 then your maximum size of single file is 4 GB.

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell
    So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file
    You have to enter only the integer. The size of the persistent image file is calculated in chunks with a size of 1 MB. Example: If you want to use a persistent image file with a size of 4000 MB then you must enter 4000.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    If your flash device uses FAT32 then your maximum size of single file is 4 GB.

    You have to enter only the integer. The size of the persistent image file is calculated in chunks with a size of 1 MB. Example: If you want to use a persistent image file with a size of 4000 MB then you must enter 4000.
    Maybe that's my problem!! I put "2000 MB" since the example shows the "MB" - I'll try again... Does the user always stay "knoppix" or do I create a user "patti" like in other distros?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Ah, got it! During the boot when you specify a size for the persistent file (sans the "MB" I was mistakenly appending), then it asks if you want to encrypt it... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    Maybe that's my problem!! I put "2000 MB" since the example shows the "MB" - I'll try again... Does the user always stay "knoppix" or do I create a user "patti" like in other distros?
    It's the conventional wisdom that Knoppix has been extensively customized (from the base distro, Debian) for use as a single-user LiveCD. Persistence has been added recently, which could allow for multiple users, but the heavy customization more-or-less precludes that. It's pretty easy to boot to the SD-Knoppix on most any "modern" system, making it a very portable little "system on a card"; if you need to install something else on your home system with multiple-user capability for others in your home (for instance) that wouldn't stop you booting it there too.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. I'm imagining a multi-user version of Knoppix that works by allowing for the existence of multiple knoppix-data files. I can "emulate" that now (crudely) by renaming the one that's on my flash drive and creating another, which has all-different customization and private files. The downside of this crude approach is that there's a bunch of stuff I added to the SYSTEM (Google Chrome, etc.) that will "stick to" my original k-data file. There are numerous potential advantages (and disadvantages) to using something like this approach, I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD picture

DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD

$550.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99