Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: confused by password stuff

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24

    Cool confused by password stuff

    I did a full install of 6.2.1 from DVD to an unused 8GB SD drive using the "install to flash drive" utility from a live boot. All seems well, but I keep running afoul of the need for user "knoppix" to have a password. I was able to temporarily fix that by making user "knoppix" part of the "root" group - but nothing (not even ice weasel settings) get saved between boots. Shouldn't that all be saved in /home/knoppix? Has this been changed in Knoppix so that all settings go to that special settings file it gives me the option to create at boot time?

    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patti

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    I did a full install of 6.2.1 from DVD to an unused 8GB SD drive using the "install to flash drive" utility from a live boot. All seems well, but I keep running afoul of the need for user "knoppix" to have a password. I was able to temporarily fix that by making user "knoppix" part of the "root" group - but nothing (not even ice weasel settings) get saved between boots. Shouldn't that all be saved in /home/knoppix? Has this been changed in Knoppix so that all settings go to that special settings file it gives me the option to create at boot time?

    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patti
    Great! AFAICT, "that special settings file" you refer to is the "persistent store", which is indeed where all changes you make would persist. However, you shouldn't have to make the changes you refer to in order to run Knoppix - it's designed to run without passwords. You can run anything you like as root, just by prefixing the command with "sudo". My suggestion is to try again, wiping and reinstalling, then boot it up and create a persistent store file, maybe 1-2 GB? That way you'll be able install most any program, etc.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    "it's designed to run without passwords" - right, but the problem is more complicated than that, for instance, if you use the menu system to start the "Users and Groups" applet, it won't let you change anything. So I edited the menu entry to put "sudo" in front of the command line for the applet and it works fine. But these menu changes don't persist, so I guess I need to use that persistence file? Since it's installed on an 8GB SD drive, and it claims there is 4 Gig left, how big should I make the persistence file? I guess since Knoppix uses FAT32 - the biggest I can make it is ~2GB...

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    "it's designed to run without passwords" - right, but the problem is more complicated than that, for instance, if you use the menu system to start the "Users and Groups" applet, it won't let you change anything. So I edited the menu entry to put "sudo" in front of the command line for the applet and it works fine. But these menu changes don't persist, so I guess I need to use that persistence file? Since it's installed on an 8GB SD drive, and it claims there is 4 Gig left, how big should I make the persistence file? I guess since Knoppix uses FAT32 - the biggest I can make it is ~2GB...
    I think that's probably FAT-Ex, M$oft's newer offering (which apparently has been adopted by flash device makers.) There seems to be no FS-related difficulty with large files on my 8GB USB-stick, but I used 2GB for that persistent store anyway, to leave room for both the 4GB KNOPPIX file/folder and some (Windows-accessible) unused FAT space. Knoppix itself can be installed on many if not most FSs, FWIW.

    Cheers again!
    Krishna

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    I think that's probably FAT-Ex, M$oft's newer offering (which apparently has been adopted by flash device makers.) There seems to be no FS-related difficulty with large files on my 8GB USB-stick, but I used 2GB for that persistent store anyway, to leave room for both the 4GB KNOPPIX file/folder and some (Windows-accessible) unused FAT space. Knoppix itself can be installed on many if not most FSs, FWIW.

    Cheers again!
    Krishna
    Hmmm... didn't think I needed to do a persistent store since I have a dedicated SD drive to knoppix. So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file, but it didn't do anything... Should I just create a new user (me)?

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell View Post
    Hmmm... didn't think I needed to do a persistent store since I have a dedicated SD drive to knoppix. So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file, but it didn't do anything... Should I just create a new user (me)?
    It's a fairly subtle thing - you might have missed it. It should create an encrypted file called knoppix-data.aes in the KNOPPIX folder on the SD card, in this case. The next time you boot, it should prompt you for the password you set for that file, then integrate everything inside with the file system you get when it's not there to create the effect of "changeability" without having to allow anything to actually change in the base install file.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-22-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarity

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell
    I guess since Knoppix uses FAT32 - the biggest I can make it is ~2GB...
    If your flash device uses FAT32 then your maximum size of single file is 4 GB.

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichell
    So I gave it a file size during boot in the option to make a persistent settings store file
    You have to enter only the integer. The size of the persistent image file is calculated in chunks with a size of 1 MB. Example: If you want to use a persistent image file with a size of 4000 MB then you must enter 4000.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Maybe I forgot to request an encrypted install when I did the to-SD install applet in the Live DVD? I don't remember seeing anything in the applet for a default home either. Maybe I have to do that manually still (even though there's an applet)?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    If your flash device uses FAT32 then your maximum size of single file is 4 GB.

    You have to enter only the integer. The size of the persistent image file is calculated in chunks with a size of 1 MB. Example: If you want to use a persistent image file with a size of 4000 MB then you must enter 4000.
    Maybe that's my problem!! I put "2000 MB" since the example shows the "MB" - I'll try again... Does the user always stay "knoppix" or do I create a user "patti" like in other distros?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Ah, got it! During the boot when you specify a size for the persistent file (sans the "MB" I was mistakenly appending), then it asks if you want to encrypt it... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$599.99