-
Junior Member
registered user
6.2.1 + HP ProBook4510s = WOW!!!!
Knoppix 6.2.1 x86_64 works INCREDIBLY well on my ProBook!! It even set up the WiFi and 1600x900 display (with hardware accel.) correctly. So I did an install. I'm surprised because I never got that kind of compatability on 6.x with my HP Pavillion 6325us ...
EDIT: I forgot to ask - all the submenus of the system menu are "flat" - no organization beyond the first menu - many distros group submenus according to function - is there a way to import a menu organization from a different distro? I believe KDE has a typical setup: for instance "Games" main menu is further subdivided into "Action," "Arcade," "Board Games," etc... This makes it much easier to navigate the many, many applications and I believe it's a KDE standard...
TIA!!
Patti
Last edited by PattiMichell; 05-22-2010 at 07:44 PM.
-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
Knoppix 6.2.1 x86_64 works INCREDIBLY well on my ProBook!! It even set up the WiFi and 1600x900 display (with hardware accel.) correctly. So I did an install. I'm surprised because I never got that kind of compatability on 6.x with my HP Pavillion 6325us ...
EDIT: I forgot to ask - all the submenus of the system menu are "flat" - no organization beyond the first menu - many distros group submenus according to function - is there a way to import a menu organization from a different distro? I believe KDE has a typical setup: for instance "Games" main menu is further subdivided into "Action," "Arcade," "Board Games," etc... This makes it much easier to navigate the many, many applications and I believe it's a KDE standard...
TIA!!
Patti
Glad it's working so well for you! There are some other desktops included without having to import; take a look at what this does when typed in before the big penguin disappears in the initial stage of booting:
Code:
knoppix desktop=kde
Be warned that KDE doesn't function anywhere near as fast as the LXDE default desktop. You can get some pretty good tips from the F2 and F3 keypress menus that are available at the beginning of the boot process; there's also a file called knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in KNOPPIX folder on the drive you're using with more details.
Hope that helps!
Krishna
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks!!
Well, I don't like KDE4 - it seems too "dumb-down" from KDE3, so I'll stick with LXDE I guess. I was hoping for a better organization of the menus. I guess I could do it by hand, right?
-
LXDE is the way to go for me! Maybe it would be worth your time to try fiddling with the menus in LXDE to make them work better for you. If you do, please share your process and results here, so others can benefit, too.
Cheers!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99