Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Boot From USB Error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4

    Boot From USB Error

    I used Knoppix Live DVD [6.2] to create a bootable 8 Gig USB - Command used "flash-knoppix"

    I am able to boot to USB on my laptop and do it with several other distros. The Knoppix USB was set up on an 8 Gig USB that previously booted to a German Mandriva spinoff called MUD for netbooks.

    When I try to boot to Knoppix on USB all I see is Boot Error and if I hit any key the laptops grub menu loads and Mandriva boots from the hard drive.

    I can boot to the USB by using the Knoppix DVD or CD and the code " knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1" and it runs from the CD.

    I need help getting the USB to boot directly so it can be used on other systems without optical drives.

    Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Maybe the error results from syslinux. Did your installation MUD use GRUB as bootloader instead of syslinux? In that case you could try to install GRUB (GRUB4DOS) on the USB device.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Before I try Grub4Dos as a possible solution does the flash-knoppix usually allow the USB to boot without any further alteration of the USB files?

    And yes - All the other Linux on USB devices I tried use grub.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Well - I gave up on flash-knoppix and used Unetbootin and I am now running Knoppix from a working bootable USB drive.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I think your boot error definitely comes from syslinux. Did you format your usb stick before installing Knoppix ? There might be some boot loader leftovers from your previous install of MUD which are preventing the execution of syslinux. In this case if you format and install again everything should work fine
    Last edited by mecho; 05-25-2010 at 04:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    I tried the format [even used Windows to do it] and for some reason the system freezes at the Boot Error message. i would think it might have something to do with the system not detecting USB devices fast enough to see the boot instructions. When I boot to a CD or DVD of Knoppix I can run the system from USB using the code
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by golf4fun View Post
    I tried the format [even used Windows to do it] and for some reason the system freezes at the Boot Error message. i would think it might have something to do with the system not detecting USB devices fast enough to see the boot instructions. When I boot to a CD or DVD of Knoppix I can run the system from USB using the code
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    I use this mechanism all the time, too. My BIOS apparently detects my flash device as a USB-hd instead, and gets hung when booting it. I don't think there's a newer version that addresses the issue, either; but other (later?) BIOSs boot that device just fine.

    Oh, well - I'll get it fixed to boot w/o a CD somehow. It sounds like you got yours going, anyway.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4

    Boot error

    I also had the same problem until i played with my bios. I had ready set my ibm thinkpad bios to boot from usb and had enabled usb boot devices. But the problem persistted. Only when i went to ports and anabled both my parallel and serial ports did it finally boot.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    What is the difference between the syslinux and unetbootin methods? I think this is rather strange, and is it the same with 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.3? It could be something with the MBR, which I think is not changed by formatting, or some kind of syslinux file corruption. It also points to the need for setting up GRUB routinely on USB devices to boot Knoppix (and anything else).

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    In order to boot off the MBR of a USB-flash device, it has to be correctly identified by the BIOS as such, AFAIK. In my own case, this isn't happening because there's a BIOS device identification error. I'm not aware of the difference in booting those two types of devices, but it's clear that without the ability to force correct treatment, it falls to cruder (backup) methods to bypass/activate the GRUB on the flash devices. This is not really satisfactory, because I can't use such a setup to boot another flash install (Puppy/Ubuntu/etc.) automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM

$30.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99