Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Boot From USB Error

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Sure, there may be identification problems, but in the OP's case here, it seemed to be specific problems with syslinux/Knoppix. In your case, are you unable to boot ANYTHING from the USB ports? In that case, using GRUB on the internal hard disk to boot the USB devices could be a kind of poor man's solution. With Knoppix, I think it could work very well. If you just get the kernel and minirt started, it looks anywhere for the KNOPPIX structure. I remember I did such things some years ago, before USB booting became more predictible.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Well, I had a similar problem with my computer at the office. It's an old computer, but the bios has several options for USB. No joy. Since I had created the USB yesterday at home using the very good and extensive directions in the wiki here on knoppix.net, I figured that the problem might be the computer. It wasn't a very informative error: boot error. Bah! So I came home and plugged the USB drive into another old computer and reconfigured the bios to boot from USB. It booted up fine, and I'm running off the USB right now using Iceweasel and typing this reply. It really works! In both cases I had picked USB-Zip as the device... there are other choices. The only difference in how I picked was that the office box, where it didn't boot right, had the choices set in the bios as: 1. cdrom 2. USB-Zip 3. hard drive This box, where it works, has the bios boot seq set as: 1. USB-Zip 2. cdrom 3. hard drive I'll try again tomorrow or later this week and see. Maybe that will make a difference. If not, then I'll try different USB ports. At least now I know that the USB drive is, indeed, a bootable USB that works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE

$124.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM picture

32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM

$75.00



CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM picture

CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

$21.04