-
Junior Member
registered user
saving settings on floppy disk
Hi!
When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?
Thanks a lot for your help!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: saving settings on floppy disk

Originally Posted by
tyiooo
When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?
I have the exact same problem on Knoppix v3.2-2003-05-20.
I saved the config files on both a DOS and ext2 floppy. Both config files were there, but I always got the "/dev is a directory" error.
I'm downloading V3.2-2003-06-06 as I type this. Maybe that will help. If so, I'll post back...
-jb
-
Junior Member
registered user
I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore 
But I still want to know why this happened (I'm sure it's for a very simple reason)
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
tyiooo
I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore

I'd like to be able to save and restore the configuration files. I would think that's how most people use Knoppix.
I tried Knoppix v3.2-2003-06-06-EN and it also failed to load the saved configuration on my Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. I also tried it on an IBM Thinkpad at work and it failed too.
I used "knoppix myconfig=scan" but have also tried "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" and it fails too. Here are the screen messages from the boot screen.
Checking /mnt/ for Knoppix configuration files...
Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption
/dev/ Is a directory
Mount failed, retry? [Y,n]
After that, Knoppix starts to automount the drives. Could the mounting of the flopppy disk be too soon in the process... before the automounter runs?
Thanks for any help
-jb
-
Saving Config to Floppy in ver 3.2 or STD 0.1b
I found on one of the forum threads that the new cheat command is not repeat not "Knoppix myconfig=". The new command is:
"Knoppix floppyconf" This worked fine with the save config utility in KDE.
Hope it works for you!!
Similar Threads
-
By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
-
By Leslie Simon in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
-
By true1ever in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM
-
By broy in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
-
By zerveza in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56