Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Iceweasel spell checker not working

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    Iceweasel spell checker not working

    All spell check options are turned on in preferences and in the right click menu, plus English/Unated States dictionary shows active in the right click, but still I have not red marking of misspelled words. Hunspell is properly installed on my PC-I am not even sure if Iceweasel uses it.
    I searched google extensively on this subject and could not find anything h
    Please help
    Last edited by mecho; 05-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    PS - I also tried add dictionary and added the English-Unated States dictionary addon. It's still not working. I am begining to think that the dictionary is working, it's just that something prevents the red marking from showing up

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    UPDATE:

    When I right click on misspelled word-iceweasel gives a suggestion in the right click menu. I wonder why it is not underlining the misspelled words. I have no way of knowing which of the words are misspelled

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    Solved

    The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

    Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
    If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
    0 = no underlining
    1 = dotted line
    2 = long dots
    3 = single straight line
    4 = double underline

    The change takes effect immediately
    Hope this was helpful

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    New problem

    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

    Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
    If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
    0 = no underlining
    1 = dotted line
    2 = long dots
    3 = single straight line
    4 = double underline

    The change takes effect immediately
    Hope this was helpful
    I checked and found that I had no such key, as well - but I misspelled it when I tried to create the new one! Any tips on how to delete it?

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Open ~/.mozila and navigate to your account. With me it is /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/knoppix

    All custom preferences are stored in prefs.js

    Find the line with the misspelled key and just delete it. You must do this with ICEWEASEL CLOSED. Otherwise changes won't take effect and the key will just be recreated.
    You can edit all keys right in prefs.js with browser closed
    Better use copy and paste when you create a key. No chance of misspelled words.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    Solved

    Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
    But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
    But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.
    Right. I tried inserting it, too, but misspelled it. Anybody know how to get rid of it?

    Krishna

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I wrote to you how to get rid of it in my previous messages. Just scroll up

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @mecho

    Many thanks for this idea.
    I'd always had this feature by default in most other installations.
    Was hesitant at first going to Mozilla for the add-on, but no problems there.
    I can give up the wiggly underline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$75.00