PS - I also tried add dictionary and added the English-Unated States dictionary addon. It's still not working. I am begining to think that the dictionary is working, it's just that something prevents the red marking from showing up
All spell check options are turned on in preferences and in the right click menu, plus English/Unated States dictionary shows active in the right click, but still I have not red marking of misspelled words. Hunspell is properly installed on my PC-I am not even sure if Iceweasel uses it.
I searched google extensively on this subject and could not find anything h
Please help
Last edited by mecho; 05-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.
PS - I also tried add dictionary and added the English-Unated States dictionary addon. It's still not working. I am begining to think that the dictionary is working, it's just that something prevents the red marking from showing up
UPDATE:
When I right click on misspelled word-iceweasel gives a suggestion in the right click menu. I wonder why it is not underlining the misspelled words. I have no way of knowing which of the words are misspelled
The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:
Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
0 = no underlining
1 = dotted line
2 = long dots
3 = single straight line
4 = double underline
The change takes effect immediately
Hope this was helpful
Open ~/.mozila and navigate to your account. With me it is /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/knoppix
All custom preferences are stored in prefs.js
Find the line with the misspelled key and just delete it. You must do this with ICEWEASEL CLOSED. Otherwise changes won't take effect and the key will just be recreated.
You can edit all keys right in prefs.js with browser closed
Better use copy and paste when you create a key. No chance of misspelled words.
Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.
I wrote to you how to get rid of it in my previous messages. Just scroll up![]()
@mecho
Many thanks for this idea.
I'd always had this feature by default in most other installations.
Was hesitant at first going to Mozilla for the add-on, but no problems there.
I can give up the wiggly underline.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99