Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Remastering: removing VirtualBox

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Remastering: removing VirtualBox

    I am remastering Knoppix and I want to remove all unnecessary packages. Problem is that, when I removing virtualbox-ose package using dpkg from chroot environment, it fails, because script cannot stop vbox kernel module, or smth like this. Of cource, it cannot, because my kernel does not contain this module, it is in Knoppix kernel, I think.
    Does anybody know, how can I remove vbox module from Knoppix kernel and cheat removing script? Or, may be, there is another way to remove Virtual Box from Knoppix CD?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    I am remastering Knoppix and I want to remove all unnecessary packages. Problem is that, when I removing virtualbox-ose package using dpkg from chroot environment, it fails, because script cannot stop vbox kernel module, or smth like this. Of cource, it cannot, because my kernel does not contain this module, it is in Knoppix kernel, I think.
    Does anybody know, how can I remove vbox module from Knoppix kernel and cheat removing script? Or, may be, there is another way to remove Virtual Box from Knoppix CD?
    Perhaps it would have been best to remove that package first, before modifying the kernel. Probably the fastest way to do this would be to use "insmod" to put that module back in, then remove the package as you described, and then remove the kernel module again. You could also use the original kernel module to do that work (and any other removals), then switch back to your customized kernel again before you finalize your re-mastered system.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i5-12500 CPU 3.00GHz LGA 1700 Desktop Processor (SRL5V) picture

Intel Core i5-12500 CPU 3.00GHz LGA 1700 Desktop Processor (SRL5V)

$150.00



Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K picture

Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K

$75.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



AMD Ryzen 7 5700 Desktop Processor 3.7GHz picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700 Desktop Processor 3.7GHz

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen 5 2600 - 3.9 GHz Six Core (YD2600BBM6IAF) Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen 5 2600 - 3.9 GHz Six Core (YD2600BBM6IAF) Processor

$40.00