-
Senior Member
registered user
Expanding the persistent store to 8+ GB as a first step
To follow up, I think it may be an advantage to do as much as possible before starting the remastering process. That implies doing package installs, upgrades etc the "ordinary" way as much as possible. But how to, within 4GB space? No way there, but we don't have to confine ourselves to FAT32 and DVD limitations.
I just tried out expanding knoppix-data.img to 8.5 GB, and that works well on ext3. I place the Knoppix package on an ext3 partition and run from there, starting from USB with the fromhd= cheatcode. I'm not sure if there will be some kind of performance problems with large loop-mounted images, but I haven't seen any so far. So I will try with an even larger persistent store, allowing me to do more comprehensive installs and compile large programs.
If we, after cleaning up and remastering, get outside the 4GB limits, there are several ways to still use USB sticks as basis. The simplest is to format the stick to ext2/ext3, install (for example) GRUB on it and just dump the Knoppix files to it. Somewhat more elaborate would be to split the compressed packages on two volumes, or work with several uncompressed volumes - that has worked just fine for me.
I think using Linux file systems on sticks is very practical. For exchange of data with other platforms, we can set up a smaller FAT (or even NTFS) partition on the stick, and have that partition automatically mounted on boot-up. Typically, a 16 GB stick could be partitioned into 15 GB ext2 and 1 GB FAT32, the ext2 volume: 4 GB compressed, 10 persistent and 1 spare.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces
$85.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00

Vintage HP Pavilion PC Case
$99.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00
![Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture](/store/img/g/EhEAAOSwg7ZnexmU/s-l225/Apple-Macintosh-Boot-Disk-System-1-0-8-0-400-800k-.jpg)
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$11.75

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards
$57.59