Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: how do i get screen resolution 1024x768 to stick on an hd install?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95

    how do i get screen resolution 1024x768 to stick on an hd install?

    Just a silly question, I've got knoppix installed to the hard drive and it works quite nicely. However, every time I boot, the resolution is auto-detected at 1600x1200 and I am used to 1024x768. On each boot, I have to manually change the resolution which is easy to do, but after the 100th time... How do you get the resolution to "stick" after a reboot. Thanks, Don

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by don999 View Post
    Just a silly question, I've got knoppix installed to the hard drive and it works quite nicely. However, every time I boot, the resolution is auto-detected at 1600x1200 and I am used to 1024x768. On each boot, I have to manually change the resolution which is easy to do, but after the 100th time... How do you get the resolution to "stick" after a reboot. Thanks, Don
    Hey-

    Good to hear you're using Knoppix! Just need some details to know which way to steer you. Did you use the hdinstall script, or do a "poor mans' install", i.e this:
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    from the Knoppix boot command line? If the latter, did you create a "persistent store file" when prompted? That would allow changes to 'stick'. Or perhaps you mis-spoke, and meant that you're booting into the LiveCD environment each time - that would not allow changes to stick. There are some useful tips in the Knoppix cheatcodes file, which you can get from the KNOPPIX folder on the CD even in Windows, or here, for instance.

    Let us know!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Hi Krishna, Yes I'm still using knoppix! When I heard about the 6.3 linuxmagazine DVD I had to rush out and buy it. I used the 0wn installer (in Preferences/Knoppix HD install) and most settings will stick (like turning off the compiz corner actions, it took me forever to figure out out to do that heh heh). I suppose I could try editing the bootup cheatcodes in grub... Don
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Hey-

    Good to hear you're using Knoppix! Just need some details to know which way to steer you. Did you use the hdinstall script, or do a "poor mans' install", i.e this:
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    from the Knoppix boot command line? If the latter, did you create a "persistent store file" when prompted? That would allow changes to 'stick'. Or perhaps you mis-spoke, and meant that you're booting into the LiveCD environment each time - that would not allow changes to stick. There are some useful tips in the Knoppix cheatcodes file, which you can get from the KNOPPIX folder on the CD even in Windows, or here, for instance.

    Let us know!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    success! I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and added screen=1024x768 onto the knoppix command line. SWEET!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$59.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00