Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

I'm using a 2Gb SD Chip myself. I chose to devote only 250m to additional space,
so my total persistent Knoppix 6.2.1 image (on the chip)is only about 1Gb.
This expands to 2Gb in ram. I've got 4Gb of ram, so it fits ok.
I don't want to try to understand your calculation. Your calculation is definitely flawed. The compressed image is /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX. The persistent store is /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img or knoppix-data.aes. KNOPPIX does not decompressed the compressed image everything at one go, ie a 1 GB compressed image is not expanded into 2 GB in ram. You have 4 GB of ram, which is a healthy amount of memory. You can use any sized flash, SD card of CF card, the last thing it gets filled up is your memory.

For a flash installation, if you provided a persistent store, KNOPPIX only uses persistent store. So the so-called additional space ( 250 MB in your case ) is not usable at all ( unless you purposedly write data to /mnt-system ). Considering you have a small flash, you are better off making your persistent image as big as possible, almost closed to filling up the entire flash.