slow burn the iso on a not rw media
try the much newer cd-rom from the other computer that it works in, in the older K6
Hello,
I tried to boot KNOPPIX V5.0.1 on an old PC (MB: Aopen AX59Pro, K6 2 350, 128Mb RAM, IDE CD ROM, S3 Trio 64V+).
The ISOLINUX version string appears on screen, then the isolinux prompt is displayed but hitting the keyboard don't do anything and it is freezed forever.
I don't have any error message.
I have tested the Knoppix CD on another computer, and it is working perfectly.
What can cause this boot problem ?
Can someone point me a floppy disk image that can boot this kind of config ?
Regards,
Laurent
slow burn the iso on a not rw media
try the much newer cd-rom from the other computer that it works in, in the older K6
The burned CD works perfectly. It has been burned at low speed on a not RW CD-ROM.
I'm sure the problem don't come from the media. I have tested it in another computer and it works also.
the burnt cd works on a newish cd device
it might not work on an older pre-32x cd-rom device
did you try the new-ish cd-rom device with the burnt cd ?
also, did you burn it on a DVD burner
I have multi dvd writers that won't burn a cd-rom iso correctly
i have to burn the cd iso on a cd-rw to get it to work
This CD works well. If I put it in the old computer while Windows 98 is running, I can browse it.
Seriously, I don't think the problem comes from the media.
Maybe can I try with a boot floppy. Do you know where I can find an image to make a bootable floppy for Knoppix 5.0.1 ?
seriously, it's an old cd-rom
and if you can't change 4 screws and try it
then i'm done trying to help you
old rom drives can't read new media
dvd-burnt cd-rom media doesn't work
would you like some help >?
Ok, I cannot change the CD Rom in the PC because :
1. it is not my computer
2. the only others CD Rom I have are laptop CD Rom
So, if at least I can try with a floppy boot disk, it can help me to figure out where the problem come from.
nope
a boot floppy will only boot the basics of the OS system so you can then access your cd-rom system
this is a problem if you cannot get your system to auto-boot to the cd-rom device
very old technology
just cos you can get the system to boot, don't mean your OLD cd-rom device can read a NEW cd-media burnt cd-iso file/disk

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS
$125.00
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00