Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A sanity check for 'persistent store' on Knoppix from Flash

Threaded View

  1. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I finally clobbered my SD Chip again, third time. .xsession-errors had nothing to do with it. I was attempting to bring in Chromium with Synaptic. Apparently over-wrote some of the system. Synaptic complained there's not enough room and quit. System in ram was obviously crippled, not responsive to command line commands. I yanked the SD Chip to avoid over-writing, but on next boot the system was obviously flawed, however minimally so. Lost some items on menu at lower left, otherwise able to post and surf, etc. Compiz still going strong. I had three ideas that have _all_ turned out not to be so. 1. I thought perhaps .xsession-errors might be eating up precious memory and causing an occasional crash; 2. I thought a crude way to avoid having to reconstitute knoppix would be to avoid an over-write on normal knoppix shut-down by yanking the SD chip; and 3. I thought some clever test might suffice to automate the intentions of thought 2. Back to the drawing board. Working within 2Gb with 250M set aside for persistent store is hazardous, given the root privilege that is ever-present in Knoppix. I'm sure Synaptic is not the only way to crash, just the latest one I've found. I still don't have an idea what I might have saved and how I might have reconstituted the system short of a full rewrite from the CD, and whether this might be preferable.
    Last edited by utu; 06-17-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



Vintage PCMCIA 2.1 E/IDE ATA/ATAPI Interface Card Adapter w/ Cable picture

Vintage PCMCIA 2.1 E/IDE ATA/ATAPI Interface Card Adapter w/ Cable

$59.99



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Compaq RT235BTW Beige PS/2 Keyboard 247430-001 Erase-Eaze Split Spacebar picture

Vintage Compaq RT235BTW Beige PS/2 Keyboard 247430-001 Erase-Eaze Split Spacebar

$71.24



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



HP 13181-60075 Digital Tape Interface PCB PCA HP 2100 21MX 7970 Vintage picture

HP 13181-60075 Digital Tape Interface PCB PCA HP 2100 21MX 7970 Vintage

$270.74