Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A sanity check for 'persistent store' on Knoppix from Flash

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I finally clobbered my SD Chip again, third time. .xsession-errors had nothing to do with it. I was attempting to bring in Chromium with Synaptic. Apparently over-wrote some of the system. Synaptic complained there's not enough room and quit. System in ram was obviously crippled, not responsive to command line commands. I yanked the SD Chip to avoid over-writing, but on next boot the system was obviously flawed, however minimally so. Lost some items on menu at lower left, otherwise able to post and surf, etc. Compiz still going strong. I had three ideas that have _all_ turned out not to be so. 1. I thought perhaps .xsession-errors might be eating up precious memory and causing an occasional crash; 2. I thought a crude way to avoid having to reconstitute knoppix would be to avoid an over-write on normal knoppix shut-down by yanking the SD chip; and 3. I thought some clever test might suffice to automate the intentions of thought 2. Back to the drawing board. Working within 2Gb with 250M set aside for persistent store is hazardous, given the root privilege that is ever-present in Knoppix. I'm sure Synaptic is not the only way to crash, just the latest one I've found. I still don't have an idea what I might have saved and how I might have reconstituted the system short of a full rewrite from the CD, and whether this might be preferable.
    Last edited by utu; 06-17-2010 at 03:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I'm sure Synaptic is not the only way to crash, just the latest one I've found.
    From what you have described, it's obvious that this is just a disk full problem. It's not a nasty low lever driver bug, corruption or something like that. As with all disk full, it's hard to guarantee any write or saving will be at a consistent or atomic state. But if you use synaptic, it has certain degree of protection against package inconsistencies. There is not too much you can expect out of this, except just to allow more space for it.

    What could constitute an issue to KNOPPIX is that, when KNOPPIX is designed to work with low capacity flash, disk full happens a lot more frequently; and when it happens, it should not put itself in a state where you can't boot anymore. A total failure to boot to me is kind of unacceptable, for something which is designed to work on flash.

    Nevertheless what I have written prior to this ( #2, #4 ) are still applicable, if only one is interested to have protection over such behaviour. Recovery without wiping out everything is certainly possible, and that has been covered in some other threads.

    Cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95