-
Senior Member
registered user
Squashfs-ed knoppix
As I learn more about knoppix, I am beginning to form this idea of using squashfs instead of cloop. This idea is not new. Apparently there is a distro already doing it, finnix. But why use squashfs instead of cloop :-
1. Squashfs is already in the kernel. There is no need to maintain a separate cloop module source code, which can potentially be incompatible with newer kernels.
2. I ***THINK*** squashfs dynamically uses a memory chunk for decompression, whereis cloop allocates a huge chunk ( currently at least 1G ) of memory to store the uncompressed image. According to finnix, it needs only 192MB, so squashfs is more memory efficient.
I guess I will try out this idea of one of these days.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$365.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00