-
Senior Member
registered user
Squashfs-ed knoppix
As I learn more about knoppix, I am beginning to form this idea of using squashfs instead of cloop. This idea is not new. Apparently there is a distro already doing it, finnix. But why use squashfs instead of cloop :-
1. Squashfs is already in the kernel. There is no need to maintain a separate cloop module source code, which can potentially be incompatible with newer kernels.
2. I ***THINK*** squashfs dynamically uses a memory chunk for decompression, whereis cloop allocates a huge chunk ( currently at least 1G ) of memory to store the uncompressed image. According to finnix, it needs only 192MB, so squashfs is more memory efficient.
I guess I will try out this idea of one of these days.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Series Tab A11+ 5G Tablet 128GB Gray (X238U)
$180.00

Samsung 990 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD 7,250MB/s
$285.00

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US
$111.45