-
Senior Member
registered user
This also apply to google-chrome, chromium browsers. It can be tackled the same way. It is strange though - I did not see so many XID collision errors when using midori browser which is also based on webkit - the xid collision error is there, but not as many as when using firefox or chromium based browsers
-
Senior Member
registered user
@krishna.
I enjoy my 200 shares of Apple stock, but I don't own any of their products.
My shock wave seems to work ok; shows You Tube here just fine. No crashes.
It just fills .xsession-errors up in the process.
Some folks think it's a security hazard, and I wouldn't be surprised.
It doesn't sound right letting a hidden file fill up with undiagnosed
complaints.
@mecho
I hadn't ignored your first post, mecho. I just don't prefer to adress the
problem that way. I prefer to keep the error messages to remind me to look
for a more fundamental work-around. One of the posts on the 60448 threads
ought to appeal to you; it takes each complaint one-by-one from
/etc/X11/Xsession and trashes it. It does this with a simple link, which can
be undone if you change your mind. Now thats elegant. Just not my taste.
@both
You may recall I've been waiting to observe a crash I can call my own?
Looking for what tips my 2Gb Flash Knoppix over? Well, my ship just
arrived. I thought I'd see what Chromium might do for me. Tried Synaptic
and, you guessed it, no Chromium here, just a crippled system. Menu panel
and bottom icons give me enough tools to write this, but I'll have to
shut this rig down and start over again from the CD.
My suspicion all along was that these crashes were self-induced. All the
Gigabyte .xsession-errors I've read about never happened here. Like Frank,
I did it _my way_.
See you later, with a clean .xsession-errors.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've learned a few things since my post #1 on .xsession-errors:
1. This topic has an enormous history I wasn't aware of.
2. I was surprised to discover this 'gem' in Knoppix; I'm even
more surprised now that I discover my old reliable Lucid has some
of the same surprises hidden there.
3. From some of my googling I came to believe or expect that
the build-up of these errors might explain an occasional crash
I have from time-to-time with my 2Gb Flash Knoppix set-up. I
no longer think that is the most likely cause in my case.
I've never seen huge errors like some report. I'm fairly sure
my crashes are more likely self-induced results of attempting
operations that require more resources than I've provided.
Similarly on my post #5, I note on closer inspection of Lucid:
1. .xsession-errors for Lucid is as described 'typical of current-
day Ubuntus', the errors are only those for the current boot session;
but,
2. .xsession-errors.old for Lucid is a _cumulative_ record of past
errors. I can't tell if this record is edited or truncated. And,
3. A lot of the exact same type of .xsession-errors are logged for
Lucid as for Knoppix. Perhaps its the Debian dna.
I still think it is useful to bring these errors out in the open
and try to make sure they are indeed harmless rather than leave
them hidden and ignored.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a better idea regarding .xsession-errors, or at least sounds better to me.
Edit /etc/X11/xsession line61
ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors to ERRFILE=/var/log/xsession-errors
then create symlink ln -s /var/log/xsession-errors ~/.xsession-errors
/var/log uses tmpfs in Knoppix and exist only in RAM, This way you will save unnecessary writes to the flash drive. And since it exist only in RAM there is no need for changing the survival option
exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1
The gain is longer flash drive life expectancy
-
Senior Member
registered user
@mecho
I think this idea has some elegance.
However, If X dies, won't we want a log to refer to
on next boot to a command line to see what went wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Upgrading IceWeasel from 3.5.6 to 3.5.10 has reduced most of the flash-video-induced .xsession errors here. I have codified a remaining six types of non-flash-related .xsession errors that I observed. Five of these now represent a minor, but puzzling continuing affliction. I have no reason to believe any of these non-flash-related .xsession-errors represent a performance problem, just an interesting puzzlement.
******************************** First type of error (polkit) **************************************************
(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3419): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'
(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3405): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'
(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3405): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3419): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
******************************** Second type of error (polkit/nm-applet) ************************************ **
(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3405): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthe nticationAgent() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for session Cannot register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthe nticationAgent() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for session ** (lxpanel:3373): DEBUG: cache file_name = /home/knoppix/.cache/menus/361db3b2db5a0a00114ba4be48c3a0f3 ** (nm-applet:3421): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system settings properties: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files. ** (nm-applet:3421): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching system connections: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files.
******************************* Third type of error (gtk/Clearlooks) **********************************************
(gtk-window-decorator:3529): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_client_set_string: assertion `val != NULL' failed Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Clearlooks": Failed to find a valid file for theme Clearlooks
****************** Fourth type of error (compiz/themes: there is no /usr/share/gdm/ in Knoppix 6.2.1) ******************
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png /usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
************************** Fifth type of error (lxpanel BadWindow) **************************************************
xpanel : X error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) lxpanel : X e
rror: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
******* Sixth type of error (atk-bridge: solved by setting /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility to false)
************
(firefox-bin:3624): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.
(firefox-bin:3624): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set. (firefox-bin:3624): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
Last edited by utu; 07-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The second error you are getting - the polkit one is because there are 2 instances of polkit in your autostart. Look in /etx/xdg/autostart and ~/.config/autostart and the last place could be /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart - open the file and check if there is a line for polkit.
You should have only one autostart link for polkit, otherwise this error occurs.
The clearlooks error could be fixed as well. Just look if you have the gtkrc file in /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0
Regarding errors 1 and 5 I am still getting them as well. Still no solution for them
-
Senior Member
registered user
@Mecho
Thanks for your reply.
Here's what I get for the polkit suggestion.
#### Regarding /etc/xdg/autostart:
knoppix@Microknoppix:/$ ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart gives
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4831 Jan 26 23:53 nm-applet.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2531 Jan 15 23:40 polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
#### Regarding ~/.config/autostart:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls -l ./.config/autostart gives
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 4832 Jul 7 09:05 nm-applet.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 2532 Jul 7 09:05 polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
#### Regarding /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart:
knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc/xdg/autostart$ ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart gives
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4831 Jan 26 23:53 nm-applet.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2531 Jan 15 23:40 polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
Does this tell you anything?
I have no idea what this means.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yor second command has a typo: ls -l ./.config/autostart should be ls -l ~/.config/autostart
And your 3rd command is wrong.
Do it the following way:
ls -l ~/.config/autostart
ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart
cat -n /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
The 3rd one is lxsession autostart file which probably contains 1 instance of polkit and I can see that you already have one in /etc/xdg/autostart/
If cat -n /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart prints polkit line, then it is safe to delete
/etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
and
/home/knoppix/.config/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
Only leave the starting line in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and you will be fine
Last edited by mecho; 07-14-2010 at 12:03 AM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls -l ~/.config/autostart
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 4832 Jul 7 09:05 nm-applet.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 2532 Jul 7 09:05 polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4831 Jan 26 23:53 nm-applet.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2531 Jan 15 23:40 polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat -n /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
1 @xscreensaver -no-splash
2 @lxpanel --profile LXDE
3 @pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
4 @/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
Desktop Session Settings gui has two boxes checked:
Policy Authentication Agent; and Network Manager.
Perhaps the first box shouldn't be checked? Might that be the problem?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99