You can safely delete both .desktop files and just leave the line in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
This way you have 3 instances of polkit not 2
This will fix the error.
You can safely delete both .desktop files and just leave the line in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
This way you have 3 instances of polkit not 2
This will fix the error.
@mecho
Thanks again, mecho.
Concerning my .xsession-errors, 'types one and two':
I'm not having much luck deleting the .desktop entries. Anyway,
I'd like to understand this PolicyKit stuff a little better before
just deleting these entries. These came with the distro;
I didn't invent them (at least knowingly).
**************
Concerning my .xsession-errors, 'types three & four', Compiz 0.8.2-6
in Knoppix 6.2.1 does not look in the right places for theme material.
Clearlooks is part of gtk2-engines 1:2; Ubuntu Human would also be
available if gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks 0.9 were added to the basic
Knoppix 6.2.1.
Hi Utu. One more time - you can safely delete the 2 .desktop files. If you want to know where all they come frrom - the starting link in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart came with your last update of lxsession and is in conformance with the new pcmanfm2. The original starting .desktop file for polkit is /etc/xdg/autostart/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1, I am not sure about the one that you have in your home folder, but it was not originally there. One thing is certain, that is you should only have 1 starting link for policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 otherwise errors occur
Summary regarding observed .xsession-errors in Knoppix 6.2.1, Flash/usb version:
By far, the greatest number of .xsession errors were due to 'XID collision warning's
due to Flash-content. The amount of errors logged per unit time at varied greatly
with the site. Results for a number of sites are summarized in 'Flash-content errors'.
Adobe, Hulu and Newegg sites showed the highest rates of these errors.
A smaller, but more persistent set of six error types were also consistently noted.
These are summarized in 'Non-Flash-content errors'. The first two of these types seem
both to be related to PolicyKit problems associated with the Desktop Session Setting gui.
The third and fourth of these types of errors seem both to be related to Compiz
and/or another program not finding Clearlooks and Ubuntu Human theme material where it
expects to find it. The Sixth of these types of errors is due to an unset gnome
interface setting.
In response to these observations we have done the following.
1. Changed our /etc/X11/Xsession script to keep only the current .xsession-errors,
rather than concatenate each new session with all the previous;
2. Added SQLite Manager to IceWeasel and instituted an occasional compaction
of the urlclassifier3 cache;
3. Set /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility to false (unchecked the box);
4. Reported the notes concerning Non-Flash-content error types one thru' four
to Klaus Knopper; and
5. Reported the notes concerning Non-Flash-content error types three & four
also to the Compiz forum.
The 'XID collision warning' problem has been reported everywhere for most every distro.
It seems to lie somewhere between Adobe and gtk as a responsibility to fix. In my
case, I see no performance penalty or crashes to worry about, and I've cut back on
the overhead to record all these otherwise meaningless (to me) .xsession-error reports.
There is a new flash player available for Linux which will supposedly solve all our problems. It is called lightspark. It is still in alpha stage, but it has very promising future. Unlike Gnash, it is build on the official documentation released by Adobe. Hopefully soon Linux community will enjoy quality hardware accelerated flash content, because like it or not flash is not going away any time soon
By now I only use xsession-errors to troubleshoot applications. Knock on wood X did no die on me
and if it dies I doubt you will find anything in xsession-errors
@mecho, re your post #27
Is there any way to know how many writes have been made
to a flash card? Or how many are left?
FWIW - I found an article online a while back (ZDnet) that referenced a study of flash memory durability, stating that "cheap" flash didn't do well, but "name brand" device wear not only exceeded the usual life expectancy (100,000 cycles), but in fact showed no signs of wear - even far beyond that point. Those quality devices have built in anti-wear write algorithms and will seemingly live forever (almost.)
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
@krishna
Hi, Krishna.
I was hoping one of you smart folks knew some magic command
that would tell me how many write cycles I have left before
my SD Card self-destructs.
On HDD's there is some 'smart' logic that gives you some idea
of the health of an HDD. I was hoping something like that
applies to flash as well.
My SD Cards cost $7 each, so it's not a crucial item. I just
like to be prepared.
mecho is working hard to conserve his write cycles. That makes
me think perhaps I should worry too.
There is no way really to find out the write cycles of usb flash drives. For this to be possibles they should have some kind of s.m.a.r.t capability built in similar to the hard drives. As Krishna said there are flash drives that can withstand even more then 1 000 000 cycles, but I doubt mine is one of them. There 2 types of flash memory MLC and SLC - SLC being much faster and having longer life, but more expensive. I can not find what type I have
And because my laptop has very bad hard drive I use flash 100% of the time - my OS is on it, and I use the HDD only for back-ups and permanent storage

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00