Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: 6.2.1 .xsession-errors

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ mecho

    Nice response. Sorry I can't help out on alsa, I'm not up on that.
    I like your solution with gconftool-2, since it solves the problem.
    I'm not in favor of trashing the errors altogether, and have run across an altertative which saves the
    latest info, just not the whole history. It goes as follows:

    Knoppix 6.2.1 keeps a running log of .xsession-errors.
    Current era Ubuntus only keep current and one old session of these.
    The difference (in the current log) is only character in /etc/X11/Xsessions.

    Quoting from https://bugs.launchpad.net/+source/gdm/+bug60448

    (concerning how to revert FROM (keeping all previous .xsession-errors
    and adding that from the current boot) TO (just keeping the
    .xsession-errors for the current boot).

    Look very closely. The _only_ edit is the deletion of one '>';
    that is '>' instead of '>>' at line 94 (or nearby, anyway).

    QUOTE ***********

    Lea GRIS wrote on 2006-09-21: #3

    * Revert to previous overwrite behaviour (310 bytes, text/plain)

    The offending code is in /etc/X11/Xsession

    Some updates ago, code was changed to increment .xsession-errors instead of overwrite it.

    /etc/X11/Xsession line 94:
    exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

    Change it back to:
    exec >"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

    I think reverting to the previous overwrite behaviour would be a good enough choice.

    This bug affect any Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu
    Offending package:
    xinit

    UNQUOTE ************

    This might be timely advice even now for Knoppix 6.2.1;
    I do not favor dumping _all_ the evidence in the trash, because these
    errors indicate something's not right.
    Hopefully it doesn't matter, but who knows?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Thanks a lot utu - very good tip. I don't really need to have the errors from my previous sessions. I found exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1 at line 77 in knoppix 6.2. I was thinking of making a small script to delete xsession-errors at shut down since it's automatically recreated at boot, but this is much more elegant solution. Perfect

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @mecho

    Most welcome. There are some other ideas in the Bug 60448 thread you may enjoy.

    Relative to the Bug 60448 mentioned earlier, the whole thread there is interesting, and still open.
    I especially enjoyed posts there #'s 40, 41, 47 and 49.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    So here's one type, representing 3/4 of my .xsession-errors:

    (firefox-bin:####): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

    The four digits #### are not always the same.

    This occurs using iceweasel 3.5.6-1 with Shockwave Flash Plug-in 10.1r53.

    Disabling this plug-in makes these errors stop. Re-enabling and going to
    nytimes site, for example makes the errors begin again.

    I'm unaware of what, if any performance is not correct.

    Disabling compiz and/or java have no effect I'm aware of.

    Constructive comments welcome here.
    Also, would like to confirm version numbers are standard for Knoppix 6.2.1.
    Last edited by utu; 06-16-2010 at 05:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    So here's one type, representing 3/4 of my .xsession-errors:

    (firefox-bin:####): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

    The four digits #### are not always the same.

    This occurs using iceweasel 3.5.6-1 with Shockwave Flash Plug-in 10.1r53.

    Disabling this plug-in makes these errors stop. Re-enabling and going to
    nytimes site, for example makes the errors begin again.

    I'm unaware of what, if any performance is not correct.

    Disabling compiz and/or java have no effect I'm aware of.

    Constructive comments welcome here.
    Also, would like to confirm version numbers are standard for Knoppix 6.2.1.
    [rant]This basically was what Steve Jobs was talking about re: Adobe Flash being "the number one reason Macs crash." Well, at least it's just error messages going into a logfile that can be handled (variously, as others have described) without a crash at all. I've tried Gnash, the open-source replacement for Flash, and it's bad - really bad. Now that HTML-5 native video is on the horizon, perhaps we can all move on to a future without mucn need for Flash as such, except perhaps in transcoding to the new format.[/rant]

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple IIe Computer Owner's Manual Official picture

Vintage Apple IIe Computer Owner's Manual Official

$12.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064  Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair picture

Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064 Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair

$149.99



Apple IIGS Vintage Personal Computer A2S6000 picture

Apple IIGS Vintage Personal Computer A2S6000

$249.99



Apple IIe Vintage Personal Computer A2S2064 picture

Apple IIe Vintage Personal Computer A2S2064

$199.99



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used. picture

Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.

$199.99